You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, January 20th 2010, 12:55pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Sachmle

Quoted

Originally posted by Navarchos
as for the amidships 20 mm A/A guns it's OK because this are not the supports of the mast but the horizontal mast for the flags(as you can see there are flag ropes on it!!!). The supports of the mast are near to the chimney!

OK, but they still can't fire forward of the beam without shooting out the ropes, if the barrel even clears them to begin with. Also, I, like BrockPaine, would like to see the rest of the Springsharp as well.

No, they can fire almost all the way forward, though not at full elevation in certain spots (they can't anyway, because of the bridge wings, etc). Take a look at the side view, that shows you where those halyards are: they come down to the searchlight platform atop the bridge, above and forward of the guns.

Friday, January 22nd 2010, 12:30pm

Rotation of armament!

Quoted

OK, but they still can't fire forward of the beam without shooting out the ropes, if the barrel even clears them to begin with.

Here is the top view of the ship with the rotation of all guns
(the 20mm A/A can fire about 55 degrees forward of the beam!The ropes of the mast are ending on open bridge's deck!)
I'll come back with the springsharp infos!

Friday, January 22nd 2010, 12:54pm

The one design issue I'd have is that the blast from the 40mms is going to be really tough on the 120mm crews when the 40mms are firing at low elevations directly forward or aft (like at MTBs, torpedo bombers, or similar situations).

Friday, January 22nd 2010, 2:45pm

MTBs/TBs

... aren't going to be approaching from directly ahead or behind. If they have a good firing position, they'll be ahead of the ship, but not directly.

Friday, January 22nd 2010, 3:06pm

About blast of 40mm A/A

I think you have right about the blast of the 40mm guns & the effects on the crew of the main guns, but don't you think that it's a little bit unpractical for torpado planes or MTBs to approach a target from direct(or 10-15 degrees port & starboard) forward or aft to shoot their torpado!!!
Anyway I will add an extension of the top armour in main guns turrets or an extension forward of the 40mm guns to cover the open turret!!!

Friday, January 22nd 2010, 3:27pm

The MTBs or TBs might not want that angle, but the DD might well point at that angle to lessen the threat from the torpedoes. And in a star-pattern attack, with attackers coming in from various angles, you could easily end up with a MTB or TB coming in from the front, where it is in good position to take advantage if the DD turns to face a different threat..

Friday, January 22nd 2010, 4:36pm

One can never forget a stern chase situation.

Friday, January 22nd 2010, 5:47pm

Or, in the case of an ASW attack, an attempted ram.

Saturday, January 23rd 2010, 2:21am

Oh, I see now. Nevermind.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Sachmle" (Jan 23rd 2010, 2:22am)