You are not logged in.

Wednesday, December 7th 2016, 3:44pm

Le Terrible

This is a Terrible design that I'm posting here in the expectation that it might spark some new discussion.

I've budgeted for two ships, one to be laid down in 1947, and one for 1948. These ships are designed to replace the older, smaller carriers still in French service on a 1-for-2 basis. The ships will probably get angled flight-decks prior to their completion in 1953-55 (so not before the end of game, if we end in 1950).

Quoted

Terrible, French Aircraft Carrier laid down 1947

Displacement:
64,150 t light; 66,004 t standard; 75,138 t normal; 82,445 t full load

Dimensions: Length overall / water x beam x draught
1,109.15 ft / 1,049.87 ft x 124.67 ft x 33.46 ft (normal load)
338.07 m / 320.00 m x 38.00 m x 10.20 m

Armament:
8 - 5.12" / 130 mm guns (4x2 guns), 79.37lbs / 36.00kg shells, 1947 Model
Automatic rapid fire guns in deck mounts with hoists
on side, all amidships, all raised mounts - superfiring
16 - 2.24" / 57.0 mm guns (8x2 guns), 6.61lbs / 3.00kg shells, 1947 Model
Automatic rapid fire guns in deck mounts with hoists
on side, evenly spread, all raised mounts
72 - 0.91" / 23.0 mm guns (36x2 guns), 0.37lbs / 0.17kg shells, 1947 Model
Machine guns in deck mounts
on side, evenly spread, all raised mounts
Weight of broadside 767 lbs / 348 kg
Shells per gun, main battery: 750

Armour:
- Belts: Width (max) Length (avg) Height (avg)
Main: 2.76" / 70 mm 820.21 ft / 250.00 m 9.84 ft / 3.00 m
Ends: Unarmoured
Main Belt covers 120 % of normal length

- Torpedo Bulkhead:
2.76" / 70 mm 820.21 ft / 250.00 m 36.09 ft / 11.00 m

- Gun armour: Face (max) Other gunhouse (avg) Barbette/hoist (max)
Main: 0.98" / 25 mm 0.59" / 15 mm 0.59" / 15 mm
2nd: 0.59" / 15 mm 0.20" / 5 mm 0.20" / 5 mm

- Armour deck: 4.72" / 120 mm, Conning tower: 4.72" / 120 mm

Machinery:
Oil fired boilers, steam turbines,
Geared drive, 4 shafts, 227,130 shp / 169,439 Kw = 32.00 kts
Range 17,000nm at 18.00 kts
Bunker at max displacement = 16,441 tons

Complement:
2,268 - 2,949

Cost:
£22.637 million / $90.547 million

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
Armament: 97 tons, 0.1 %
Armour: 12,867 tons, 17.1 %
- Belts: 916 tons, 1.2 %
- Torpedo bulkhead: 3,018 tons, 4.0 %
- Armament: 29 tons, 0.0 %
- Armour Deck: 8,724 tons, 11.6 %
- Conning Tower: 181 tons, 0.2 %
Machinery: 5,611 tons, 7.5 %
Hull, fittings & equipment: 23,574 tons, 31.4 %
Fuel, ammunition & stores: 10,988 tons, 14.6 %
Miscellaneous weights: 22,000 tons, 29.3 %

Overall survivability and seakeeping ability:
Survivability (Non-critical penetrating hits needed to sink ship):
137,324 lbs / 62,289 Kg = 2,048.6 x 5.1 " / 130 mm shells or 26.0 torpedoes
Stability (Unstable if below 1.00): 1.15
Metacentric height 9.0 ft / 2.7 m
Roll period: 17.4 seconds
Steadiness - As gun platform (Average = 50 %): 76 %
- Recoil effect (Restricted arc if above 1.00): 0.02
Seaboat quality (Average = 1.00): 1.58

Hull form characteristics:
Hull has raised forecastle
and transom stern
Block coefficient: 0.600
Length to Beam Ratio: 8.42 : 1
'Natural speed' for length: 37.08 kts
Power going to wave formation at top speed: 46 %
Trim (Max stability = 0, Max steadiness = 100): 48
Bow angle (Positive = bow angles forward): 40.00 degrees
Stern overhang: 26.25 ft / 8.00 m
Freeboard (% = measuring location as a percentage of overall length):
- Stem: 39.37 ft / 12.00 m
- Forecastle (30 %): 39.37 ft / 12.00 m (26.25 ft / 8.00 m aft of break)
- Mid (50 %): 26.25 ft / 8.00 m
- Quarterdeck (15 %): 26.25 ft / 8.00 m
- Stern: 26.25 ft / 8.00 m
- Average freeboard: 30.18 ft / 9.20 m

Ship space, strength and comments:
Space - Hull below water (magazines/engines, low = better): 69.7 %
- Above water (accommodation/working, high = better): 220.0 %
Waterplane Area: 99,810 Square feet or 9,273 Square metres
Displacement factor (Displacement / loading): 160 %
Structure weight / hull surface area: 175 lbs/sq ft or 855 Kg/sq metre
Hull strength (Relative):
- Cross-sectional: 1.16
- Longitudinal: 0.98
- Overall: 1.02
Hull space for machinery, storage, compartmentation is excellent
Room for accommodation and workspaces is excellent
Ship has slow, easy roll, a good, steady gun platform
Excellent seaboat, comfortable, can fire her guns in the heaviest weather

Ships in Class:
- Terrible
- Vigilant

Wednesday, December 7th 2016, 9:09pm

Well, without a proper miscellaneous weights breakdown, it will be Terrible difficult to criticize. Perhaps I should post my carrier sim as well to add to the discussion of this new category of carriers which we shall call "Super Carriers". :)

One noticeable difference is that the cross-sectional strength on my design is 0.97 and the longitudinal strength is 1.26 while with your design those values are 1.16 and 0.98 respectively so perhaps it is an idea to raise the freeboard a bit...

Wednesday, December 7th 2016, 9:46pm

I am with Walter on this; without a breakdown of the miscellaneous weight I find it difficult to make more than the most obvious comments…

Like the design is large… 8| Perhaps overly so.

The design is capable, in theory, of operating a lot of aircraft, even a lot of jet aircraft – angled decks notwithstanding, it might prove too many in practice, as was discovered with the very large air group of the original Midways.

The operating radius seems unusually large, though given the mass of the design the amount of fuel carried aboard is within the normal percentages – just that 14% of 75,000 tons runs up to a very large number.

The build time for such vessels – more than six years – is in my humble excessive for any design; technology would change too much in the intervening period. As they would finish after the theoretical end of the game this would be less of an issue, but for me it would be a realistic concern. YMMV.

Wednesday, December 7th 2016, 10:33pm

To me with this design, there are quite a few things that Brock feels that are important to this design and therefore require it to be a lot bigger than the German Spaun. I also feel that the 120% extra miscellaneous weights on Terrible is going to make it more flexible in the 'new' era compared to Spaun.

Wednesday, December 7th 2016, 10:34pm

I've not really put together a breakdown of miscellaneous weights for this design yet. I'm figuring it ought to operate about 90-96 aircraft once completed, so you can guess about 10,000 tons weight for the aircraft.

Wednesday, December 7th 2016, 10:37pm

Don't forget that Jets will be 2/3 the number of (pre) WW2 planes so you'd be looking at 60-64 jets then.

Wednesday, December 7th 2016, 10:47pm

Don't forget that Jets will be 2/3 the number of (pre) WW2 planes so you'd be looking at 60-64 jets then.

True - so to get 90 jets, I'd need to use the equivalent of 135 regular aircraft, ergo 18,225 tons, which is within the limits of the miscellaneous weight I can break down...

Wednesday, December 7th 2016, 11:02pm

That does leave you with less miscellaneous weights for other important stuff... but I guess that depends on what you think is important.

Thursday, December 8th 2016, 2:07am

This discussion brings to my mind a question.

Jet aircraft are presumed to take up (in some unspecified manner) more space than piston aircraft. But what if the aircraft carrier is operating both types of aircraft? This would be common enough in the transitional period we are in at present.

My own understanding of this rule would be applied thusly: A carrier fighter squadron of 18 piston aircraft is to be replaced by one operating jet aircraft – by reducing the squadron strength to 12 jet aircraft the Rule of Two Thirds ™ is preserved. Another squadron on the same vessel that continues to operate piston aircraft could still have 18 aircraft assigned.

Is this a reasonable approach?

Thursday, December 8th 2016, 2:42am

It is to me, yes.

Thursday, December 8th 2016, 10:13am

Don't forget that "Jets will be 2/3 the number of (pre) WW2 planes" is not written down in the gentlemen's rules.
We had the same discussion when I was designing my new carriers and Walter said then it was a rule of thumb he felt was viable, i.e. that a jet must require more misc weight than a piston.
While I don't reject the overall validity of that statement overall as jet aircraft grow in size and mass, but I do wonder if that is really applicable to the first generation jets. Is a Grumman Panther or Hawker Sea Hawk more space and weight consuming than a DH Sea Hornet, Grumman Tigercat or a Douglas Skyraider? Does a jet fighter armed with 4x20mm cannon really consume that much fuel and weaponloads than, say, a Skyraider with umpteen combinations of bombs and rockets etc.?

I feel if we are going to go down this route then we need to specify more precisely what size and weight means and to what types we want to apply rules to. Otherwise we'll end up where 18 Panthers = 54 B-25s!

As to the ship, I have no particular comment other than it is big, but then carriers in SS tend to come out big to get the optimum.

Thursday, December 8th 2016, 12:22pm

Don't forget that "Jets will be 2/3 the number of (pre) WW2 planes" is not written down in the gentlemen's rules.
We had the same discussion when I was designing my new carriers and Walter said then it was a rule of thumb he felt was viable, i.e. that a jet must require more misc weight than a piston.
While I don't reject the overall validity of that statement overall as jet aircraft grow in size and mass, but I do wonder if that is really applicable to the first generation jets. Is a Grumman Panther or Hawker Sea Hawk more space and weight consuming than a DH Sea Hornet, Grumman Tigercat or a Douglas Skyraider? Does a jet fighter armed with 4x20mm cannon really consume that much fuel and weaponloads than, say, a Skyraider with umpteen combinations of bombs and rockets etc.?

I feel if we are going to go down this route then we need to specify more precisely what size and weight means and to what types we want to apply rules to. Otherwise we'll end up where 18 Panthers = 54 B-25s!

On the whole I would agree with this. I do have to wonder how the author of the Springstyle notes arrived at his conclusions, and would argue to the contrary - but only if the game extended beyond 1950; I think we can work with the 'rule of thumb' for the time being.

Thursday, December 8th 2016, 6:24pm

Quoted

It is not written down in the gentlemen's rules but in the springstyle notes. The gentlemen's rules are additional rules we apply to simming ships besides those given in the spingstyle notes (though the depth = 2/3 of beam for submarines is completely wrong and I do not apply that one to simming my submarines).

http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=5466

Quoted

I think it probably has to do with all the extra stuff that comes with. The weight is not just for the planes but for a lot of other things as well like additional parts of the ship, higher fuel consumption, higher maintenance requiring more maintenance crew and space for the additional crew to stay, etc. Maybe it could even be a volume matter where a jet requires lets say 50% more volume space than a piston-engined plane of the same size. Otherwise why bother with the complicated square root nonsense and not just use KISS and apply 25 tons per plane regardless of size and number of planes if you are not going to take all those required extras into account?

Personally I think that the bigger piston planes should probably fall under the 2/3 rule as well, otherwise I could just load an H8K2 onto a ship for 25 tons (as long as the number of planes is less than 25) even though a fully loaded H8K2 is about 32 tons.

Quoted

Otherwise we'll end up where 18 Panthers = 54 B-25s

Not really. 18 Panthers = 729 tons. 54 Mitchells = 2916 tons. :)

Quoted

As to the ship, I have no particular comment other than it is big, but then carriers in SS tend to come out big to get the optimum.

You either make it bigger or you need to sacrifice some things in order to fit it all on a smaller vessel. Comparing Terrible with a few other big carrier designs...

- Terrible (France) - 75,138 tons, 4x2 130 mm guns, 70mm belt, 70mm TBH, 120mm deck, 32 knots, 17,000 nm @ 18 knots, 22,0000 tons miscellaneous weights (29.3%).

- Colossus (GB) - 47,100 tons, 8x2 114mm guns, 114mm belt, 64mm TBH, 102mm deck, 32.31 knots, 18,000nm @ 16 knots, 11,680 tons miscellaneous weights (24.8%).

- Spaun (Germany) - 45,311 tons, 16x2 55mm guns, 100mm belt, 30mm TBH, 80mm deck, 33 knots, 15,000nm @ 18 knots, 10,000 tons miscellaneous weights (22%.1).

- Nurikabe (Japan) - 59,042 tons, 4x2 127mm guns, 152mm belt, 76mm TBH, 102mm deck, 30 knots, 11,370 nm @ 18 knots, 22,500 tons miscellaneous weights (38.1%).

- Ishinagenjo (Japan) - xx,xxx tons, xxx xxxmm guns, xxxmm belt, xxxmm TBH, xxxmm deck, xx knots, xx,xxx nm @ xx knots, xx,xxx tons miscellaneous weights (xx.x%).

... okay so that last one wasn't very useful for comparisons. :D

Quoted

I do have to wonder how the author of the Springstyle notes arrived at his conclusions

Looking at the wiki page of the USS Midway, the 100 planes for the 1940s-50s and 65 for Vietnam-retirement does look awfully like a 2/3 value... maybe it is based on this sole example.

Monday, December 12th 2016, 7:22pm

Quoted

The ships will probably get angled flight-decks prior to their completion in 1953-55 (so not before the end of game, if we end in 1950).

I was thinking about this for a while. That bit tells me that the design is designed without the angled flight deck but would require an alteration to the design somewhere during construction a bit similar to the rule we had when it came to converting battleships to carriers at the beginning of the sim. Would that still be applied with the current rules (in this case probably a Major Refit to be applied on what has been done so far on the ship before construction can continue)?

Monday, December 12th 2016, 8:07pm

Quoted

The ships will probably get angled flight-decks prior to their completion in 1953-55 (so not before the end of game, if we end in 1950).

I was thinking about this for a while. That bit tells me that the design is designed without the angled flight deck but would require an alteration to the design somewhere during construction a bit similar to the rule we had when it came to converting battleships to carriers at the beginning of the sim. Would that still be applied with the current rules (in this case probably a Major Refit to be applied on what has been done so far on the ship before construction can continue)?

To which battleship conversion rule do you allude? I am not familiar with such.

Monday, December 12th 2016, 8:13pm

I'd presume it'd need some manner of refit. The extent would need to be determined by how angled the flight deck is, and whether it is done with an off-to-the-side sponson, or if (like certain historical ships) there's just some changes to the deck fixtures and the way the lines are painted on the deck.

I'm thinking that the angled deck as initially completed will initially be a relatively minor change. Something more extreme, like what the USN did with the Midway refits, would follow in a late 50s refit. But I don't expect we'll still be running the game by the point this ships complete, so I'm not terribly worried about it.

Monday, December 12th 2016, 9:13pm

Quoted

To which battleship conversion rule do you allude? I am not familiar with such.

It is an older rule that does not look to be in the current rules anymore and looking at them, I noticed it is about the conversion of incomplete vessels so not just BBs to CVs as I originally thought.
http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/index.php?pag…ad&threadID=153
"2.2.5 Conversion of Incomplete Vessels"

Quoted

I'd presume it'd need some manner of refit. The extent would need to be determined by how angled the flight deck is, and whether it is done with an off-to-the-side sponson, or if (like certain historical ships) there's just some changes to the deck fixtures and the way the lines are painted on the deck.

Paint and deck fixture rearrangement probably should not be anything especially during construction. The probable Major Refit I mentioned would be for the addition of the off-to-the-side sponson because I think it would fall under "Changes to superstructure (i.e. lengthening or widening a deck, adding a deck house): P".

But as I mentioned, I am not sure if that old rule would still apply in some way to the current rules if alterations to the design are made during construction (after alll, that rule is about a much more extreme conversion than a straight-deck CV to angled-deck CV).