You are not logged in.

Thursday, February 24th 2005, 7:23pm

AWNR: CFJ Q2/1926

April 1, 1926
‘Asia Financial’ wrote today that apparently three Japanese groups have joined the Philipine & Pacific Steam Ship Co. and the Filipino Union Rail Road Co. last month to purchase a large number of bonds for the building of the Henyang & Kunming Railroad. The groups are the Imperial Japanese Rail Road Company, the International Business Organization for Industries, Imports and Exports and AFSG, a group of wealthy people who wish to remain anonymous. While the Imperial Japanese Rail Road Company informed that their share is in excess of 1 million Ryo (roughly about 6 million US dollars), neither the IBOIIE nor the AFSG released any details regarding their share, but it is believed that their shares are bigger than that of the Imperial Japanese Rail Road Company.
“Just everyday business,” IBOIIE owner Watanabe Yoshinori, explained to AWNR: CFJ after having been asked about the purchase. “But I believe that sometimes it is not necessary to release certain details to the public, business or otherwise.”

Watanabe Yoshinori, owner of IBOIIE

April 22, 1926
As the Japanese Antarctic Researchers Organization closed another interesting season, their thoughts are on the missing Indian and South African scientists. “It's not a safe area with all that ice around,” Tsuda Odoshiro, head of the Japanese Antarctic Researchers Organization (JARO), told AWNR: CFJ. "Whenever we leave for the Antarctic for another season, we are well aware of the risks involved when trying to get to the Antarctic. Who knows? One day we might vanish from the planet like those guys did. Still I hope that they are still alive."
Earlier in this work season, explorers found a strange object. The explorers set out for another inspection of the object but were unable to locate the cavern. With the arrival of winter, it is certain that that cavern won't be found anytime soon.

April 28, 1926
"It is sad to see an ally being forced to leave the area..." Rear Admiral Ugawa Wataru, commanding the Japanese South American Patrol Taskforce (JSAPT), told AWNR "... but that just leaves a bigger play area for the Royal South African Navy and the Imperial Japanese Navy."

April 30, 1926
Asked about the current situation around the Paracel Islands, Shogun Tokugawa Tsugako said: "What I should make of it? Personally I am not too thrilled about the Chilean claim on the Paracels Islands. The Filipinos weren't exited either so they made a claim themselves. It seems that both parties are willing to blast each other to tiny bits for possession of those islands. We’ll see what will happen."

May 8, 1926
The International Business Organization for Industries, Imports and Exports (IBOIIE) purchased of the Dairen Goods Company (DGC) and the Formosa Food Store Sector (FFSS) today.
When asked about the purchase, Watanabe Yoshinori’s reply was: “Just everyday business, but I believe that sometimes it is not necessary to release certain details to the public, business or otherwise.”

May 24, 1926
Today the Armored Cruiser RCNS Nisshin left its base at Ryojun for the last time. The ship will head for the Philippines where it will continue to serve the Marina de Filipinas.

June 1, 1926
Lady Tokugawa Onyanko left by plane today. Her destination is said to be Geneva where she will personally deliver the standpoint of the Japanese Empire.
“It’ll take a while to get there by plane, but I expect to have plenty of time to shop before I am to address the Council,” Onyanko told AWNR: CFJ.

June 2, 1926
Today in Manila, there was a small ceremony, which made the transfer of the RCNS Nisshin to the Marina de Filipinas official. The former Japanese Armored Cruiser has served the Royal Chosen Navy for almost 10 years.

June 15, 1926
The International Business Organization for Industries, Imports and Exports (IBOIIE) purchased Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Mitsubishi Internal Combustion Engine Corporation, Ltd. and Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Corporation, Ltd. today. Already owning the Kawasaki Shipyard Company, the addition of the Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Corporation, Ltd. means that two of Japan’s main naval warship construction yards are now part of Watanabe Yoshinori's IBOIIE.
Naturally, purchasing three of these companies all at once would involve a lot of money, but when asked about that, Watanabe Yoshinori’s reply was: “Just everyday business, but I believe that sometimes it is not necessary to release certain details to the public, business or otherwise.”

June 23, 1926
Announcement by the Shogun. "Since 'the known threat from Argentina has been dealt with by the Argentineans', I believe that it is no longer necessary for the Japanese Taskforce to remain in the Southeastern Pacific area. At the request of the Chilean Government, the taskforce shall start its return journey on July 1, 1926."
(OOC: this was originally planned for May, until Ithekro's June news)

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, February 24th 2005, 7:39pm

Just everyday business......*g*

Fine...

Thursday, February 24th 2005, 8:55pm

Watanabe Yoshinori (after conquering the world): “Just everyday business.”

Saturday, February 26th 2005, 4:33pm

Hmm, no comments on the mudslinging of Comrade Gasbagarov...or was that considered everyday business? ^_^

Sunday, February 27th 2005, 5:38am

Been watching the newer "Ghost in the Shell" series I see Walter.

Sunday, February 27th 2005, 10:24am

<= For those who don't know it, that's a Tachikoma, Wesworld Japan's latest addition to its arsenal.
:-)

Got the first four special edition DVDs and the fifth one ordered. Pretty good stuff. I especially enjoy the silly Tachikoma bits at the end.

Sunday, February 27th 2005, 10:49am

Just for Deity's sake keep the natural oil away from them!

Sunday, February 27th 2005, 3:24pm

Don't worry I won't.
*leaves to buy some more natural oil*

Sunday, February 27th 2005, 5:55pm

To: Admiral Okada Keisuke, Commander-in-Chief Combined Fleet of the Imperial Japanese Navy
From: Captain Yamamoto Isoroku, XO Kasumigaura Flight Group
Subject: Dutch Naval Exercise held near the Dutch East Indies during the eleventh month of the 12th year of the Emperor Taisho.

Interested to see what tactics the Dutch would be using during their exercises, I put in a request with the Dutch Embassy at Kyoto to be allowed to act as a neutral observer aboard one of the Dutch warships. A few weeks later I received a reply that my request was granted and that I was expected to be in the city of Phuket on Phuket Island on November 1, 1925. Here I was to report to Rear Admiral Maarten Winters, who had been put in charge of the “Enemy Force” squadron.
After a friendly welcome by Rear Admiral Winters when I arrived there, he assigned me to act as an observer on his Flagship “De Ruyter.” In his eyes, it would be an excellent position to observe the exercises from. After telling me stories about Admiral Michiel de Ruyter, after whom the ship was named, Rear Admiral Winters showed me around his ship.
On November 2, Rear Admiral Winters’ squadron left Phuket Harbor for preparatory exercises. This was necessary because both his battleships were fairly new and the crew lacked experience. This exercise lasted until November 7. At various points it could share my experience as Division commander on the Soya, the Chief gunner on the Niitaka and the Deputy Commanding Officer on the Kitakami with the crew of the “De Ruyter”.
At 0:00 on November 20, the exercise began. Being a neutral observer, it was expected of me to remain quiet. So I just made notes as the exercise progressed.

My observations:

- It is clear that the Dutch airplanes need to be either replaced or upgraded, crews must be properly trained and the department’s coordination needs to be seriously improved. I think it would be a good idea to test the equipment and abilities of Japan’s Air Reconnaissance Department (ARD) during the upcoming SATSUMA exercise and see whether or not they have to be improved as well. What happened with the Dutch Air Reconnaissance Forces could easily happen to our forces as well if it has the same flaws.
- The damage control precautions aboard the KM Tromp were in my opinion a true disgrace. This is something that the Dutch will need to look at very good as it resulted in the Tromp withdrawing from the scene. The crew should have been trained better at this as it could have easily resulted in the loss of the Tromp. I am aware of how the system works on the Japanese warships, and while it is good, it could definitely be better. The proper training of the damage control crews will determine if the ship will survive or if it will be lost.
- Winters relied too heavily on remaining undetected so in the end he and his men were taken by surprise by the enemy ships when they attacked Winters’ main force. I think it would have been best if he were to assume that his position was known to the enemy. That thought alone could have been decisive during the engagement and even the whole exercise.
- The defense force capital ships were too badly damaged to successfully engage the Tromp. Should the exercise have gone on at this point, it could have resulted in a victory for the Enemy Force.
- One of the critical moments in the exercise was the withdrawal of the decoy force. I would say that it was an error to do it that soon as it could have supported the main fleet of the Enemy Force once it was found out that the Defense force had gone the other way. Should the Defense Force have gone out to meet the decoy fleet, they could have withdrawn at that point. Even if the Defense Force had been able to overtake or engage the decoy fleet, it would have given the Enemy Main Fleet the time to engage the objectives.
- It seems a good plan to establish a special coast watchers division in the Navy. People of this division should be assigned to various locations along the coastline of the four major islands of Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu as well as the many smaller islands that make up the rest of the Empire. They should receive proper training and charts with the various types of planes and ships that exist today. Also good working communication systems will be needed with which a coast watcher can communicate to other coast watchers as well as a central control headquarters for the various sectors.
- The use of submarines to keep an eye out for the movements of the Enemy Main Fleet was quite impressive. It should be noted that the Imperial Navy has a mere seven submarines, all of which are used for special missions by the Yagyu clan ninja. It would be wise to turn our attention to these submerged vessels and create a number of them in order to utilize them in the same manner as the Dutch did during their exercise.

Conclusion:
All in all the exercise was undecided, but looking at all the infromation, I would put it slightly in favor of the Defense Fleet.
The Enemy force failed to take the main objectives while the fleet sustained moderate damage overall.
The Defense Force was successful in defending the main objectives, but failed to inflict high damage as the Tromp was still operational at the end and the decoy fleet was also undamaged. Also the Defense Fleet was not much of a combat-worthy force after the engagement with the enemy fleet.
I think that if the decoy fleet would have taken some risks and moved on rather than withdraw, they may have had been successful in taking out the damaged Defense Force Fleet without sustaining too much damage, join up with the Tromp and take out the main objectives. The only reason why I mentioned that the battle as a whole is ‘slightly in favor of the defense fleet’ is because the main objectives had not been attacked by the enemy fleet.

Upcoming exercise:
With the SATSUMA exercise less than 4 months away, it would be valuable to reread the Dutch Exercise Report, the report of last year’s SATSUMA exercise as well as reading my points given above. With all this information, I believe that we can make the SATSUMA exercise of this year an interesting one.
I am glad that you are giving me the opportunity to be an observer during the upcoming exercise. With my knowledge of the Dutch exercise, I would to see how the Forces of SATSUMA perform with my own eyes. Once the exercise has concluded I shall send a report with my observations to you.

Signed,

Yamamoto Isoroku
Dai-Kasumigaura Kaigun Koku-tai no Fukucho

Sunday, February 27th 2005, 5:56pm

To: Captain Yamamoto Isoroku, XO Kasumigaura Flight Group
From: Admiral Okada Keisuke, Commander-in-Chief Combined Fleet of the Imperial Japanese Navy
Subject: 1926 SATSUMA Exercise

I thank you for all those points. I shall forward them to our Minister of Navy, Admiral Takarabe Takeshi.
I have had a word with Vice Admiral Taniguchi Naomi, who will be the senior officer of the Japanese forces and your presence as an observer. I am to inform you that you are expected to report to Captain Togo Ryoko of the Mikasa on the twenty-fifth day of the tenth month of the 13th year of the Emperor Taisho.
I am looking forward to your report of the Second SATSUMA Exercise.

Signed,

Okada Keisuke
Rengo Kantai no Shirei Chokan

Sunday, February 27th 2005, 6:32pm

Good to see The Great One

I was wondering how and when we'd see him... :-)

The Philippines is intrigued by the coast-watcher idea. Perhaps a joint SATSUMA Coast Watcher Training Centre should be set up?

Sunday, February 27th 2005, 6:45pm

Well, the data here shows you that in the real world, he was an Attache in the US in 1926.

Sunday, February 27th 2005, 9:21pm

Be interesting to see how he deals with a certain Naval Air Force Colonel... ^_^

Sunday, February 27th 2005, 11:08pm

Old fashioned American execution.....they goin to hang that boy so he feels like he's flyin.