You are not logged in.

Wednesday, January 5th 2011, 1:04am

So what is the scoop on top of the fuselage for? I thought that was the radiator. So on the turboprop it would be the air intake?

Considering the nature of the aircraft would a P-51 or P-63 style scoop be better for battle damage resistance? Otherwise you have cooling lines running along the bottom of the fuselage.

Heavy caliber cannons are also useful for shooting up MTB's and such.

Wednesday, January 5th 2011, 1:19am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox

Which 4+ 1.1'' machine guns can also do just as well....

Wednesday, January 5th 2011, 1:24am

Quoted

So what is the scoop on top of the fuselage for? I thought that was the radiator. So on the turboprop it would be the air intake?

Prettiness, apparently. *shrugs?*

Quoted

None of my most probable enemies have any MTBs in their orders of battle, however, so that's not really a concern for me. Even if they did, I don't feel guns larger than 30mm in size are beneficial for such service.

Wednesday, January 5th 2011, 2:03am

20-25mm guns can be somewhat usefull against DD sized vessels so they are more than adequate for use against MTB's and thier wooden hulls.

Wednesday, January 5th 2011, 9:39pm

The dorsal intake is in a good position for the air intake for the piston engine. Taking air in through the chin radiator is probably a bit too far.

The chin radiator should be better for survivability than a ventral one. Protecting the cooling lines should be relatively simple as you're going through the armoured cockpit section. The prop should stop a reasonable amount of fire from the front.

With 2000-2500hp available, I might consider adding another radiator somewhere as I don't think there's likely to be enough cooling area just from the chin intake - especially for operations in hot/high conditions.

Wednesday, January 5th 2011, 9:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
The dorsal intake is in a good position for the air intake for the piston engine. Taking air in through the chin radiator is probably a bit too far.

The chin radiator should be better for survivability than a ventral one. Protecting the cooling lines should be relatively simple as you're going through the armoured cockpit section. The prop should stop a reasonable amount of fire from the front.

With 2000-2500hp available, I might consider adding another radiator somewhere as I don't think there's likely to be enough cooling area just from the chin intake - especially for operations in hot/high conditions.

Okiedokie, I'll see about drawing one in. Where'd be the best spot? Some sort of belly intake, like on the P51?

Wednesday, January 5th 2011, 10:20pm

I've always been more of a fan of wing radiators instead. Reduced drag and no impact on hanging stores. Should be relatively easy to armour as well. I had a little play with my previous version to illustrate; also raised the cockpit and reprofiled the forward fuselage a bit.