You are not logged in.

Monday, November 16th 2009, 5:27pm

RF Government...

Quoted

Before the war started, the Soviets put one together, published it in one of their technical journals, and completely failed to see it's application for radar.

...have been much more aware of the possibilities... :D

Monday, November 16th 2009, 6:10pm

And France put it's own psuedo-Radar on Normandie a few years back, so that's why I didn't get where the "Atlantis is supplying the world" comment came from :P

I am a bit suprised FAR isn't collaborating a bit more; They've got a lengthy, stable, and closer relationship than any other power bloc (historic or WW). I'd expect at some point they'd be looking towards commonality of some kind.

Monday, November 16th 2009, 6:26pm

We actually have an allied committee to share technological advances and exchange ideas. You just haven't heard about it because the biggest member powers haven't posted any news recently. *Cough cough cough*

In other news, we're collaborating on tanks, sharing a design for small arms, sharing naval artillery and torpedo types, licensing each other aircraft, swapping landing-craft plans and so forth.

Monday, November 16th 2009, 6:45pm

Quoted

Amusing tidbit - but did you know the Soviets invented the cavity magnetron before the British?

It's worth pointing out that the Germans, Japanese and Italians all "invented" the cavity magnetron pre-WWII. The Germans did nothing with it. The Japanese actually got some use out them in 1944 onwards. Italy had plans for their introduction in 1942/43 but more emphasis was put on producing the previous generation sets just to get _some_ radar in service.

The Soviets didn't ignore the cavity magnetron. They developed a radar set around it, but working on decimetric wavelengths instead of centimetric. The results weren't that great.

So really, inventing the thing has little reflection on use. The UK invented it later, but developed it much more quickly and were able to produce it in large quantities. Here, I'm sure we'll forget those sorts of sensibilities.

Quoted

And France put it's own psuedo-Radar on Normandie a few years back

A set was on Normandie historically as well. It was a bit pants but the French went away and came back with a cavity magnetron in 1940.

Quoted

If Peru was going to get anything, I'd assume it'd come from Iberia or Italy through AEGIS.

I've no idea where Iberia is on radar development, probably forging ahead like everyone else. Italy hasn't been supplying any sets either, though did see a bit of use in the South American war.

Monday, November 16th 2009, 6:49pm

Quoted

In other news, we're collaborating on tanks, sharing a design for small arms, sharing naval artillery and torpedo types, licensing each other aircraft, swapping landing-craft plans and so forth.

I've been doing a bit of costing work recently. A conservative rule of thumb for international programs is that program cost increases with the square root of the number of partners.

e.g. with 3 partners the program costs around 70% more, but because there are three partners, the individual cost is only 60% of the original.

That's for a program without serious problems.

Monday, November 16th 2009, 6:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
It was a bit pants but the French went away and came back with a cavity magnetron in 1940.

Okay, am confused. What's a 'bit pants'?

Monday, November 16th 2009, 6:53pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

From the little information I managed to find on it, it's performance was poor. Would be better with binoculars.

Monday, November 16th 2009, 7:14pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Quoted

It was a bit pants but the French went away and came back with a cavity magnetron in 1940.

British colloquialism; not a term of high esteem.

Monday, November 16th 2009, 7:22pm

I forgot that some people don't speak proper English. It'd be worse if I used regional dialect as well.

Monday, November 16th 2009, 9:19pm

Quoted

I forgot that some people don't speak proper English. It'd be worse if I used regional dialect as well.

But you don't and you do!! :P

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 12:45am

Quoted

...merely speaking a diferent dialect.

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 1:53am

Why, howdy ya'll. :D

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 5:37am

Porfavor, hablen espanol... :D

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 6:52am

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
I know Rocky was developing his own storyline for Indian Radar, but I'm at a loss as to how (or why) that'd end up in Peru. If Peru was going to get anything, I'd assume it'd come from Iberia or Italy through AEGIS.

Well, it's not from the Dutch. We only have it on a handful of ships (4-6) and some radar picket towers are under construction.
Research on that topic by Phillips is kept secret.

Compared to OTL, Phillips made parts for radars- over a million Phillips tubes were shipped over the channel before Holland fell, and went into English radars. Phillips parts were used by german researchers. The Dutch had..or was planning... radar-directed searchlights. One source says designer engineer J. von Weiler escaped to England with two prototypes which were in some manner superior. Overall, I've planned AAA type developments to track with Aircraft developments. Personally, I'd rather see it the other way, but oh well.

Edit: Google books came up with "A radar history of WW II" .
Philips patented a multi-electrode tube in 1926.
It reports Philips working from 1933 on applications for the split-anode magnetron they invented, with radar experiments through 1939. The book also says the Philips work got Germany's Kuhnhold working on radar, and that German von Willisen purchased a Phillips magnetron in Nov 1933 and seems to have used it as his base, modifying it.

It also mentions the two Dutch radar men escaping to England.
According to Wiki "They were well advanced by May 1940, and had built four working prototypes of centrimetric gunlaying radar operating at a wavelength of 50 cm and a practical range of 20 km[10]. While these devices were far more technically sophisticated than British early warning radar of the time, they were not operationally integrated into the armed forces." These are what the two escaped to England with. In addition to the separate shipment of tubes.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Nov 17th 2009, 8:53am)

Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 11:26am

Ay, there's nowt more expressive than colloquial English.

Those two Dutchmen are invited to Britain anytime they want for a nice seaside holiday. Either that or MI6 can arrange a kidna, I mean holiday, for them. :D

Actually I'm looking forward to seeing what the Dutch in WW do with what undoubtedly advanced tech they had OTL in 1940 cut short by German occupation. I think in WW the Dutch have a stronger background than some other nations in certain areas.
Don't know much about French radar pre-war but they seem to have done ok, at least on par with other nations persuing the same ends.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, November 18th 2009, 8:14am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
Actually I'm looking forward to seeing what the Dutch in WW do with what undoubtedly advanced tech they had OTL in 1940 cut short by German occupation

I'm afraid you'll be disappointed, nothing terribly exciting :)

I've found a couple of things where the Dutch- particularly in Fire Control/AA, seem to have been in the forefront. They were a technically advanced country with good universities and a top notch electronics giant. However they relied on neutrality and severely underfunded their military, much of what might have been was cut short by the invasion.

So primarily I intend to use these things as a rationale to "keep up" with the 1st tier nations, such as "Radar". I intend to introduce prox fuses on schedule - had an RC plane ages ago as an intro for the small tubes required, and I've already introduced the stabilized mounts and schnorkel (historical so far, no flapper valve), but I'm not looking to be way ahead in other fields.