You are not logged in.

Saturday, July 6th 2013, 3:33am

Retroactive Bharat News for 1943 (Korean War Related)

OOC Reminder: This is pre-electon Bharat, with a caretaker government.

17 June 1943

"Having seen the ambassadors for both Chosen and China, I received two distinctly different versions of events," the Prime Minister remarked. "The Chosenians claim the Chinese crossed the border, blew up a munitions depot, executed civilians in a nearby village, and withdrew. The Chinese claim that if the event happened at all, it was a Chosenian false flag operation. I assume they can't both be correct."

"Probably not," the Bharati co-head of SPEARFISH agreed, "But one of my analysts could undoubtedly contrive a scenario where they were."

"Maybe they should try," the Prime Minister said. "What's your opinion?"

The spook shrugged. "If forced to choose between the two, I'd lean towards the Chinese version of events. It sounds a little too...perfect...if you will: A high profile but ultimately inconsequential military asset destroyed, atrocities against civilians, Chinese uniforms on bodies for proof. As if Chosen were calculating for maximum outrage. But the paranoid old man in me also acknowledges that China could indeed stage such a quote-unquote sloppy operation for their own reasons."

The Prime Minister frowned. "Well, let's hope they just blow hot air at each other for a few days and let it go..."

23 June 1943

"Well, crap," the Prime Minister growled as he listened to the Chinese prime minister's recorded words.

"It could be worse," the Minister of Defence remarked. "We could still be formally allied to them both."

26 June 1943

Quoted

To: Government of China; Government of Chosen

Given the state of war between your governments, be advised that:

1) Bharat takes a position of neutrality at this time.

2) Bharat will observe international law in regards to use of its ports by belligerent warships

3) Bharat is prepared to continue engaging in normal commerce with both parties, but will reconsider if either party acts in a manner contrary to the interests of Bharat, such as attacking Bharati shipping.

4) Bharat encourages both parties to contain hostilities to their own lands and adjacent coastal waters.

5) At such time as both parties are prepared to engage in negotiations for a peace settlement, Bharat is prepared to mediate if requested.

Saturday, July 6th 2013, 3:37am

Hum, seems to be a logical and intelligent response, as well as a good analysis of the situation...

Saturday, July 6th 2013, 4:08am

My ability to be irrational and stupid is constrained by the fact that I've posted news to the contrary up to January 1944. If the guys had dated this war as January 1944, I'd have more room to consider manuevering...

Saturday, July 6th 2013, 4:33am

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor
My ability to be irrational and stupid is constrained by the fact that I've posted news to the contrary up to January 1944. If the guys had dated this war as January 1944, I'd have more room to consider manuevering...

It is most unfortunate that the conflict broke out in the past... :(

Saturday, July 6th 2013, 4:17pm

27 June 1943

To: CIC Eastern Maritime District

As a precaution against expansion of the Chinese/Chosen conflict, you are directed to increase aerial and surface patrols in the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea. Chinese and Chosenian merchant traffic is to be monitored. Chinese and Chosenian warships are to be shadowed.

Level three ROE remain in effect; if fired upon, Bharati units are to disengage and report contact without returning fire.

That said, we don't expect any particular trouble from either side.

28 June 1943

To: Gov't of Burma; Gov't of Siam; Gov't of Netherlands
CC: Gov't of UK

Please be advised that in response to the conflict between Chosen and China, Bharat will be stepping up aerial and surface patrols in the Bay of Bengal and Andaman Sea in order to monitor belligerent traffic.

This is strictly a precautionary measure, intended to discourage either belligerent from expanding the scope of its military operations. Our assets have been issued very conservative rules of engagement in order to avoid undue incidents.