You are not logged in.

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 5:48am

New aircraft carrier

New carrier for my RSwN.

HMS Hedvig Eleonora

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 12:37pm

Isn't 145,000nm @ 14 knots a bit much? ;-)
I guess you were a bit eager with entering the zeros, since the SS sheet gives 14,500.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 12:53pm

Quoted

Originally posted by psilander
New carrier for my RSwN.

HMS Hedvig Eleonora

Hey psilander,

you´re getting better and better. That drawing of yours is really good. In general I like this design even though I think deck edge elevators are decades ahead of her time. I´d used a second centerline lift aft making her more realistic for the time commissioned (1934, IIRC).

Anyway, good work!

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 12:54pm

BTW do you need 1,000 shells per main gun? With a total of 8 guns that'll give you 8,000 10.5cm shells. Looking at various guns of similar caliber, I think 400 to 500 rounds would be more likely.

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 3:23pm

OOPs too many zeros, it ishould be 14500Nm,

I was fooled by the boatdeck on USS Saratogas portside when I made the pic, but didn't the Essex class and Ark Royal (1930s) have side elevators?

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 3:50pm

I've looked at the top views of both the Ark Royal and the Essex. It doesn't look like the Ark Royal had one, but the Essex class has something on the port side that looks definitely like an elevator on the side.

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 4:53pm

Essex-class does have a port side deck-edge elevator.

HoOmAn

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 5:41pm

Hello? She´s a converted liner of 1926er vintage which entered service in 1934.... Deck edge elevators are hardly realistic. They were an development following experience from sustained carrier ops in the PAC.

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 5:56pm

Swamphen is correct, Essex had the first deck-edge lift when she was laid down on 28-APR-41. Hedvig Elonora predates that by a decade.

TWO deck edge lifts makes her even more of an oddity for the 30s, even in Wesworld. If that after elevator were moved into the middle of the deck she would be more realistic, predating Essex by 6 years from commission to commission.

Roojen is correct on Ark Royal (30s) as well. She had one elevator offset to port, but not all the way to the deck edge. The elevator was still inside the hull.

I can't think of a single liner conversion that had three lifts. Hiyo and Junyo have to be considered the most successful, and even they only had two.

In 31-36, contemporary and future US designs would be Ranger and Yorktown. Both feature on deck elevators.

Structurally, as a conversion, Hedvig Eleonora is going to be much more like a USN carrier. The USN carriers were basically hulls with a flight deck on top. The hangar deck was the strength deck. (RN carriers had the flight deck as the strength deck.) The conversion will probably have it's main deck as a strength deck, with the superstructure and flight deck above it.

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Big Rich

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 6:04pm

Make note: scrap the idea of deck-edge elevators from the 1927 Soryu plans. :-)

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 6:42pm

Quoted

Make note: scrap the idea of deck-edge elevators from the 1927 Soryu plans. :-)

...Or come up with a plan that will make such an innovation reasonable in 1927. What caused the elevators to be moved to the sides in the first place? Then find a way to make such a thing happen early....and then...such an elevator seems not only realistic, but necessary.

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 7:07pm

The first deck edge elevator was on the Wasp, with the design being approved in 1935 according to Friedman's CV design book. It saved weight, removed a structural weak spot, namely a large hole in the middle of the flight deck, and improved traffic flow. Wasp's deck edge elevator was only a "T"-shaped framework that supported a plane's landing gear.

Saturday, December 25th 2004, 11:06pm

She was designed together with US engineers, it is likely that they wanted to try the idea before puttning it on the Wasp in 35. HE's design as a carrier started in 1931.

HoOmAn

Sunday, December 26th 2004, 12:57am

And swedish politicians responsible for naval fonds agreed to such experiments? And it´s not only one such elevator but two... :o)

Sunday, December 26th 2004, 1:10am

politians are a funny bunch of people so the admiral decided to go with two deck elevators instead.

picture redrawn

HoOmAn

Sunday, December 26th 2004, 1:13am

Much better methinks. She now looks like a ship her age. Probably some more balconies for light AA guns where the lifts originally were...

Nit picking: The screw/rudder arrangement needs some tweaking. Her screws should be on one level more or less. Take a look on linedrawings of some four screw designs to get my point...

Sunday, December 26th 2004, 2:33am

She hs her big aircraft loading doors there, so she can load aircraft and large spare parts from normal harbourcranes because of her high main deck level.

I never can get the screws right, I 've always tried to remember how the screws sat on my old ship model of a similar type (this time Ark Royal and Titanic)