You are not logged in.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 6:09pm

British Destroyers - Need Help

Can anyone identify the classes of the British destroyers in the encyclopaedia; I'm at something of a loss as to what class is which.

Even a name for the ship pictured would help...

RLBH

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 6:45pm

Here's some help: I think most all of them are actual historic classes, you can look at navalhistory.flixco for more detail.

The Marksman-class is the one exception, that class I can't find a corresponding British destroyer type for.

The Yarrow S type could be seven DDs of the Admiralty S type built at Yarrow (though I don't know that that's the historic number built there). Same with the Thornycroft S, and the Admiralty S might well be the rest of the class (they certainly look the same). The Admiralty V looks like a historic Admiralty V type DD, so the Thornycroft V could well just be Vs built by Thornycroft. The Yarrow M's could be either M or repeat M's built at Yarrow, though it looks like they've been lumped in with some of the other M-class boats since Yarrow only built 6 Ms in total. The R's would probably be the Admiralty Rs and modified Rs, with the Thornycroft Rs being the Thornycroft R specials.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 8:48pm

They are all historical. Next problem is finding a source that gives detail on them.

Jane's 1919 should help.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 8:58pm

Hah, yes, that's gotten it: the Marksmen class in the encyclopedia is what navalhistory was referring to as the Lightfoot class. The picture is of HMS Abdiel, which was a minelayer, the rest of the class were destroyer leaders which shipped an extra 4 inch gun and 4 21" torpedo tubes in place of the mines.

Friday, January 27th 2006, 12:32am

Magic!

Thanks very much, guys: with that, I'll have a decent OOB done tomorrrow evening.

Now I just need to track down a few of Gravina's classes, but their details should be fairly easy to find on the boards...

RLBH

Friday, January 27th 2006, 1:11am

Note: All of the Thornycraft V & Rs where transfered to Australia, plus ten Admirality S.

Friday, January 27th 2006, 3:04am

The M's and early leaders (Marksman) were scrapped. By 1929 there are only S&T's and V&W's left of the war built ships.

Cheers,