You are not logged in.

Tuesday, December 7th 2004, 8:48am

Quoted

Thing is, even 8 such cruisers have no chance against that battleship, unless they use ramming tactics

But it is easier to hazard and actually make use of those cruisers than even 3 battleships - unless you like 'a-fleet-in-being'.

Cheers,

Tuesday, December 7th 2004, 8:54am

Other than Capital ships, no other ship IIRC is limited to numbers, only total tonnage dictates how many you can build.

No matter how big (or small) your navy is, you'll always want more!

As for Greece being wary of France, GB and Russia why on earth for? I can see them being wary of Atlantis, possessing a mandate next door and handing back Constantiniople to the Turks and we don't even need to go into details in reguards to Italy. The only rivalry that even comes close to the Turks/Greeks in the Med. is the Italians/Greeks fighting over Albania and Macedonia.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, December 7th 2004, 9:58am

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval
Greece goes for quantity over quality as there is no restrictions on cost and crews it's just tons.

A good point. We discussed that in length at the very beginning of wesWorld but found no solution to that problem. For countries in existance in real life one could have used percentage of GDP for military budget or something but what to do with Atlantis, SAE and other powers?

So we decided to ignore financial strains and to focus technical naval design instead for which displacement limits, size of slips and docks etc. is more important.

If you have a good idea how to calculate funds and crew costs etc. feel free to give me some insight. Probably we can find a way to fit it into WesWorld...

HoOmAn

Tuesday, December 7th 2004, 9:59am

CT

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval
I'll check but I don't think I can transfer BB tonnage to Cruiser category and it doesn't say how many ships (the real issue) that would be.

It doesn´t say how many ships as shifting tonnage is exactly about that - tonnage. The number of hulls is not touched.

HoOmAn

Tuesday, December 7th 2004, 10:00am

Subs

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Other than Capital ships, no other ship IIRC is limited to numbers, only total tonnage dictates how many you can build.

Think of submarines...

Tuesday, December 7th 2004, 10:21am

I thought there was a reason "subs" poped into my head when I posted that.....

Tuesday, December 7th 2004, 4:58pm

Do you mean this design Swamphen?

Tuesday, December 7th 2004, 5:29pm

Looks about right

Thanks for the pic, I hadn't seen it or the actual manuscript, just the synopsis.

Tuesday, December 7th 2004, 7:51pm

theres no way those super imposed secondary's are going to turn with those lifeboats so close! Other than that an interesting design.

Tuesday, December 7th 2004, 7:57pm

Quoted

theres no way those super imposed secondary's are going to turn with those lifeboats so close!

But they can!
... of course those lifeboats will be useless after that. :-)

Wednesday, December 8th 2004, 10:31am

Quoted

As for Greece being wary of France, GB and Russia why on earth for?

I didn't say Greece was wary of those powers - I said that they all had the capability to successfully attack Greece. Only Turkey would have the intent but she lacks the capability. Greece is wary of Turkey.

Cheers,

Wednesday, December 8th 2004, 10:35am

Quoted

theres no way those super imposed secondary's are going to turn with those lifeboats so close! Other than that an interesting design.

Probably the reason they didn't get built but there is still plenty of space for a band.

So how many of these could Yamato eat in an hour?

Cheers,

Wednesday, December 8th 2004, 10:44am

Quoted

It doesn´t say how many ships as shifting tonnage is exactly about that - tonnage. The number of hulls is not touched.

There is a fixed proportion between light and heavy but I'd want bigger ships to counter 13,000ton crusiers otherwise there wouldn't be much point in converting BB tonnage to crusier.

My spreadsheet keeps giving me numbers (ie. 36 1400ton destroyers) so I'd thought that there were limits - been staring at excell for to long.

Cheers,

Wednesday, December 8th 2004, 11:02am

Quoted

A good point. We discussed that in length at the very beginning of wesWorld but found no solution to that problem. For countries in existance in real life one could have used percentage of GDP for military budget or something but what to do with Atlantis, SAE and other powers?

Probably easy enough to do but it would mean more work.

If given the choice I'd go for a smaller well trained and well equiped navy than a fist full of ships one. You would have to say your existing IP allows you to have half your fleet in active service the other half in reserve. If you want more in service then it costs you points. If you put more of your fleet in reserve then this gains you points but it may take you 3 months to put a ship back into service from reserve.

A ship with 2 years continuous service could be regarded as competent, 4 years as expert and 6 as elite. A refit pushes you back one step.

You would also have to limit crews - you get x number based on IP and then have to start paying for the extra.

Something like 2 units for DD (about 200crew), 4 for a CL, 9 for a CA etc. Like above you could have enough to cover half your treaty fleet value.

Yet another spreadsheet and much longer reports : (

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,

Wednesday, December 8th 2004, 7:55pm

Now emagine doing it like I do, the sloppy way with no excell spread sheets! Would it make sence to determine your nations population and go with a percentage for your navy's manpower?

Wednesday, December 8th 2004, 8:24pm

Quoted

Now emagine doing it like I do, the sloppy way with no excell spread sheets!

Man! I don't even want to think about doing stuff like that without spread sheets!!

Wednesday, December 8th 2004, 9:09pm

Not in this timeline

As far as more realistically simulating economic factors, I think it would be a great idea...for WesWorld2. Since the current sim has been structured around the tonnage-production-is-only-limit system, such a drastic change would require hitting the Big Red Reset Button. The current sim should be played out as-is, and WW2 can, perhaps, have the realism factor cranked up.

No spreadsheets here, and I probably couldn't learn to use one if my life depended on it...

(BTW perhaps this thread should be moved to The Meeting Place?)

Thursday, December 9th 2004, 1:50am

Quoted

Would be interesting if there was something between cruiser and battleship in terms of the treaty. There is a gap that would not normally be built in between 13,000 and roughly 27,000 tons.

If there was a way to convert battleship tonnage to this catagory, Greece could build Armoured Cruisers instead of Heavy Cruisers or Battleships.
The upper limit would be reduced farther down as I'm not sure was counts as a low end battleship in WesWorld these days.
If it is slower than 24 knots it could be considered a coastal defense ship (depending on what other conditions are in the treaty at present).

Maybe that can be addressed at your next international naval arms treaty convention.
Perhaps in responce to the Chilean's new Armoured Cruisers or the older Iberian El Cid.

Thursday, December 9th 2004, 4:30am

No spreadsheets?

and I'd thought about using this as a way of learning MS Project.

I've almost got my spreadsheet putting out my report. That must be why I've looked at further challenges.

I'm a mean project manager - my shipyards work 7 days a week.

Cheers,