You are not logged in.

Monday, March 3rd 2008, 12:36am

August 7th

A report is handed to Orbay on the afternoon of the 7th.

B]To: General Kazim Orbay

Subject: Further investigation into Edykes Mass Grave[/B]

Before leaving Edykes, for Task Force Field HQ, my investigations team managed to find a witness to what went on,and who was actually willing to come forward - providing we offered them protection from the Wilno authorities - and give us their testimony.

I have taken the liberty of placing this individual under LoN Task Force protective custody, pending your approval. I am bring her to Vaskes with me, under guard, I request arrangements be made to get here out of Wilno territory be made as quickly and quietly as possible. It is the opinion of my subordinates, and myself, that she is telling the truth.

The witness in question: one Annika Kadaras, aged 18, is a longtime resident of the village of Edykes, and is under suspicion of being a member of an illegal liquor distilling operation. Or illegal at least by Wilno Republic standards. According to our sources, partically everything in terms of goods and services in the Wilno Republic is taxed, in order to generate funds for the Wilno insurrection's armed forces and state treasury. Her father (Audrius) and two brothers (Gytis and Juonele), who I would categorize as a bunch of thoroughly amateur bootleggers were arrested some weeks ago and interned in one of the Letowska Guard run prison camps.

All three of the male members of the Kadaras family, as well as the mayor and several other villagers of Edykes have subsequently been identified as being amoung the bodies in the massed grave.

I enclose a partial transcipt of Miss Kadaras's interrogation.

/s/ Robert Mackenzie, Major RCMP

Transcript of Interrogation:

Interrogator: RCMP Sgt. Arthur Murdock
Witness: Annika Kadaras

Murdock: Who are you, what is your status and occupation?

Kadaras: I am Annika Kadaras, I am a citizen of Lithuania... or Wilno now I guess. I am unmarried and am 18 years of age, I am currently employed as a barmaid at the Edykes village inn.

Murdock: On the event in question, could you please describe what you saw.

Kadaras: They murdered them, all of them and threw their bodies into a pit!

Murdock: Please clarify for the record, who did this and who was murdered.

Kadaras: Oh...well the Blueguards did it.

Murdock: Blueguards?

Kadaras: Yes, the Blueguards. It's well, uhm...what we call the Letowska Guards, 'cause of the blue collars and cuffs on their uniforms, that and the blue caps or cap bands they wear.

Murdock: I see, please continue.

Kadaras: Well, the Blueguards came to the village and had a bunch of us rounded up, me included, they gave us shovels and picks and had us dig up the forest floor over by the old ruined mill. They had us work day and night until it was done the way they wanted it. When that happened they reclaimed all the tools, and dismissed us, told all of us who had been digging to clear out and not mention anything about it to anyone.

I wondered if they was, well building something to help win the war, given that they told us to keep our months shut or we'd regret it. Old Bronius reckoned that it might be the startings of a fort, ah...bunker? I think that was what he called it. Or maybe for somesort of hiding place for weapons or something.

Murdock: I see. When did the Letowska Guards come back?

Kadaras: A few days later, we were all scared, we thought that they were going punish us for something. Some people worried, that somebody had said something about the pit, and the local snitch had heard it and told the Blueguards.

Murdock: Did they?

Kadaras: No. They just went to the wood, with a couple of trucks, and then set up a guard. They sent this big loud sargeant into the village to tell us to stay in the village and keep clear of the wood. If we didn't they we would be shot.

Murdock: The prisoners who were murdered, they turned up later?

Kadaras: Yes, I sneaked out of the village, late at night and crept up to the edge of it. They were marched into the woods, by a lot of guards. I think they came up from the camp up to the north, um...that's were they took papa and my brothers.

I saw them amoung the prisoners, they all looked ragged, tired and well confused, even a bit afraid. A lot of them were bloodied up, particularly the soldiers. The Blueguards had these lights set up, sort of blinded them.

T-they marched them all u-up to the edges of the pit, then-then, the Blueguards moved up behind them. I.... I....

Note: Witness, Annika Kadaras, was unable to continue at this point, due to extreme emotion.