You are not logged in.

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 6:48am

Canada, Eh? 1936 News

Canadian News 1936

Naval:
Battlecruisers Renown and Repulse, damaged during fleet excersizes last year, are expected to complete their repair and modernization period in Feburary 1937, boasting numerous improvements and innovations to once again make them world-class capital ships.

After long development and numerous yard delays, Battleships Canada and Excelsior are expected to be commissioned and operational next summer. At that time, they are expected to be among the most powerful and exceptional warships afloat.

Battleships HMS Ramilles and HMS Resolution have been serving the RCN during the year to keep core crews fresh and trained for the Renown, Repulse, Canada, and Excelsior.

The RCN has finalized plans to aquire and modernize three of Naval Aviation's pioneering ships, HMS Glorious, HMS Courageous, and HMS Furious. Glorious and Courageous are being transferred during the final months of the year, with Furious expected to arrive in early 1937.

HMCS Hermes has operated at an increased tempo throughout the year, providing testing and acceptance trials for new aircraft under consideration for the RCNAS, as well as training up pilots and flight crew for service on the expected RCN carrier additions next year. Her training cruises have seen her showing the RCN flag at the Spithead Coronation review, as well as the Coldmere Coronation review.

Additionally, 8 Tribal class Fleet Destroyers and the last batch of Labrador class Light cruisers are entering service, with two Polar Navigation ships expected to begin operations in the arctic early next year.

Aviation:
Two additional airships have been ordered, based on experience with the successful Pegasus design, and consultation with the USN and IAN, with construction begining in June. While technical specifications and other details have not been released, reports are that these two will be quite a bit larger than Pegasus, judging by the gantries at St. Hubert they are being constructed in. In related news, work has begun at RCAF Sea Island and RCNAS Shearwater for expansion of airship handling facilities, both civilian and military.

Avro Canada and Canadian Car & Foundry have released solicitation materials for several new products;

Avro Canada CF-5 "Archeopteryx" Scout Fighter
two forward-firing 7.62mm MGs
two turret-firing 7.62mm MGs aft
199 knots
590nm range @ 120 knots
Trapeze and Floatplane packages being developed for airship/naval applications.

Avro Canada CB-6 "Pterosaur" Carrier Bomber
two turret-firing 7.62mm MGs forward, 2000lbs ordanance
230 knots
1000nm range @ 200 knots

CC&F PB-7 "Cearadactyl" Patrol Bomber
four 7.62mm MGs in nose, dorsal and beam, 2000lbs ordanance
229 knots
1800nm @ 155 knots

Avro Canada is also known to be producing a CF-175 design for the Canadian government, however no details have been released. Rumors place the project as related to strange aircraft known to have been operating from HMCS Hermes during the 1935 NATO FleetEx, and other local excersizes off Halifax.

Misc
In Blue Riband news, RMS Oceanic retained her record for eastbound crossing during the media-dubbed "Great Liner Race" in April against the French Liner Normandie, and subsequently retook the westbound title on her next crossing. However, as expected, the newest Superliner, RMS Olympic swiftly took both titles on her maiden crossings, with a crossing record of 34.3 knots

Opposition elements in Parliment have begun to question the neccesity of ongoing RCMP deployments in Bolivia and Lithuania, especially calling the Lithuanian deployment into question due to the ongoing deterioration of conditions and relations in the area. In response, Foreign Minister St. Laurent has formally inquired with the League of Nations for their estimation on how long both commitments are expected to last.

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 6:53am

Oh God! That plane is so ugly... I think I need to gouge my eyes out now. Hang on, be right back...

Monday, August 18th 2008, 1:36am

Well, we just won't sell any to you, then! :P

Monday, August 18th 2008, 2:03am

Thats ok, Hood has the title for "ugly aircraft inc", you have a ways to go Shin before you dethrone him......

but your on the right track.

*Runs away*

Monday, August 18th 2008, 2:05am

Grr... >:|

Monday, August 18th 2008, 12:01pm

Gentlemen, this is clearly the new Canadian tactic for achieving air superiority, build the ugliest aircraft possible, so opposing pilots crash rather than look at the thing.

Perhaps the Canadians should sell some to their Dutch allies. I am quite sure they could use some to wipe out the Indian air force in one blow without firing a shot.

Monday, August 18th 2008, 6:56pm

Wait, I have Dutch allies now? -scratches head-

Monday, August 18th 2008, 11:04pm

I thought the Canadians were part of SAER, same as the Dutch. I could be wrong.

Monday, August 18th 2008, 11:40pm

SAER isn't an alliance, it's just a limited mutual defense pact, as far as I (or Canada) can figure. The NATO/AEGIS dynamic seem more prominent should events happen beyond SAER's limited purview.

That being said, The Dutch themselves haven't done anything to annoy Canada, so business and political relations shouldn't be too bad.