You are not logged in.

Friday, August 15th 2008, 6:23pm

Threads tend to do that. :P

As an aside, look at how effective you can be, even with only two factories - Estonia. Stuart's work there is spectacular, IMHO, and fits the niche perfectly. It's the point I'm aiming Bulgaria and Ireland for, too.

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 15th 2008, 6:32pm

RE: Brazil......

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk

Quoted

Originally posted by howard

Mathematics in WW is not linear-its logarithmic, or don't you realize this?

The math in WW works out to 7-8 IP minimum necessary, and about 9-11 IP per quarter as ideal. Below 5 and you are sort of handcuffed into just spinning your wheels in place until you build a couple of factories.

You know, the first line fails to illustrate anything but can come across as condensending. I indicated a minimum of 5-7 needed, and outlined a case for 7. You state 7-8. What an earth shattering difference!

Well I tend to be pedantic. Sorry about that, but I use mathematics a lot when I look at problems.

The first comment is to illustrate the non-linear function that you find in the WW rules. One of the problems that I had in explaining the case in the carrier discussion was in showing how a single variable has such a log function in something as subtle as in flightdeck layout. The math got lost in the various objections raised.

Many of you think this is modern mathematic intuition and after the fact modern analysis. Well it isn't. If I had been alive at 8 December 1941 and been asked by Leahy how bad was Pearl Harbor for the US; it would take me about 5 minutes to tell the him, that the USN was toast in the Pacific for at least a year, and incapable of offense for at least two based, on the secret reports of tonnage lost that he would give me, and the published Brassey's 1937 naval production capacities to which I would have access then and now.

Quoted

There is also the nature of the nation with those 7, or 11 IPs. If assigned to a nation with a background that casts it as technically backwards, with limited population and sea access, then the nation will still be difficult.

That is story. The only thing to do there is to set in train a Siam type story line that will in five years yield a technically competent but still weak nation.

Brazil would take three years at least to build back. Can't do anything about Brazil modernization as that would take at least as long story-wise as she has no allies.

H.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Aug 15th 2008, 6:38pm)

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 15th 2008, 6:38pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

As an aside, look at how effective you can be, even with only two factories - Estonia. Stuart's work there is spectacular, IMHO, and fits the niche perfectly. It's the point I'm aiming Bulgaria and Ireland for, too.

Siam is a work in progress. It should turn out okay if I just tend her and keep the stuff in progress started going.

I just see a spectacular storyline continuation after the BAS war that will carry eight to twelve quarters in the future after the BAS war winds up.

Shrug.

H.

Friday, August 15th 2008, 6:40pm

Actually, Brazil has allies in the ABC Alliance.

Friday, August 15th 2008, 6:49pm

Quoted

Becoming a nominally independent state acting as a shield for Russia? Cant find the Estonian fleet but that seems to be the purpose of Latvia

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 15th 2008, 6:52pm

Quoted

Actually, Brazil has allies in the ABC Alliance.

Argentina is in much the same boat as Brazil, but is richer IP wise. She hasn't been Rio de Janeiroed, either. Her numbers are better.

Chile? Unless Chile is going to commit economic suicide, I don't see that strategically happening.

As a neutral's analytic reply to the Columbian offer to Brazil, "why would Brazil make an enemy stronger exactly when she, Brazil, is on the ropes?" Better to scrap them in place than Brazil cut her own throat, don't you think? Unless Columbia offers Brazil something better than scrappage, then that reduces Brazil to a satrapy either of Argentina-which Argentina can't sustain, or of some other foreign power. l just don't see it.

H.

Friday, August 15th 2008, 7:00pm

Wow, I wasn't aware Brazil and Colombia were enemy's, first I've heard of it. Besides, it wasn't an offer, merely musing about the subject.

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 15th 2008, 7:07pm

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Wow, I wasn't aware Brazil and Colombia were enemy's, first I've heard of it. Besides, it wasn't an offer, merely musing about the subject.

HMMMMMMMM. Based on Brazil's insane actions since the Andes War why would Columbia's military not regard Brazil as an enemy?

That regime is imperialist and expansionist. Not exactly the best type of nation with which to conclude a friendship agreement or non-aggression pact. DEEDS not words make them a threat.

I merely pointed out that the Brazil counter to such an offer at this point to be IC consistent would be spiteful. Their emperor is crazy.

H.

Friday, August 15th 2008, 7:10pm

Man..it I only had the time. I love these arguements/discussions... Howard..you're a blast, but you're kinda arrogant and pigheaded. You have to remember, there's a reason WW has survived this long..and it has to do w/ the members.. One should listen to the "old-timers" they are wise. Or is funny terms.."Your kung-fu is not strong enough". You can ARGUE all you want, and even if you're right, you're still wrong because of the WAY you do it. Ever heard "You can catch more flies w/ honey than w/ vinegar"?

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 15th 2008, 7:22pm

Quoted

You can ARGUE all you want, and even <when> you're right, you're still wrong because of the WAY you do it.

Note to self. Better lay up a supply of honey.

And this:

Honey comes from bees.

I have a sense of humor.

H.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, August 15th 2008, 11:14pm

I just looked in the Player info thread and noted I introduced myself to the board on the 13th of April 2003. And that is info in a saved thread - indicating it survived from the original place we set up WesWorld (oooooold story). O.o

Me wonders if there is any other such SIM or game in the net that survived for so long....?!

[Whenever I think of it I´m awestruck because of the devotion players have shown all the time to keep WesWorld running .....]