You are not logged in.

Sunday, July 4th 2010, 3:46pm

Noticias Argentinas Q3/39

Noticias Argentinas

July 22
Today Capitan de Aero Alfonso de Bastian resumed testing of the RP-1 (I.Ae 10) rocket-propelled aircraft.
The first flight of the RP-1 following its crash late last year was last week when it was dropped from a heavily modified Accrisius B-3D bomber fitted with four 1.500hp V-12 engines and operated by FMA. The RP-1 then glided back to the runway and two other drop-tests were carried out without mishap.

Today was the first drop of the fully-fuelled RP-1. The 5,000lb RP-1 was dropped at 15,000ft and once clear Capitan de Aero Alfonso de Bastian fired the FNO-104 rocket engine and the RP-1 reached 495mph at 30,000 feet and reached a maximum ceiling of 34,000ft before the engine ran out fuel and the RP-1 was glided back to base. FMA plans ten further flights with the B-3D/RP-1 combination until the middle of 1940.

Tuesday, July 13th 2010, 9:35pm

August 1
Presidential Elections. All went peacefully but turnout on this rainy day was only 54% and many voters felt unsure about who to vote for and many admitted to pollsters that they had never heard of many of the candidates.

The shares of the votes were;
Juan Ramon Mugnolo (Conservative Party) 38%
Ricardo de la Rua (Democratic Union) 29%
Ramon Stellos (United Workers Party) 15%
General (ret) Jorge Roca (National Democratic Party) 6%
Oscar Lujan (General Democratic Union) 11%
Paulo Augusto Cardoso (Marxist Party) 1%

Therefore Juan Ramon Mugnolo has been elected as the new President of Argentina as Head of State.

September 1
AFNE today laid down the 400 ton coastal tanker Dona Stella. Her sistership Dona Elora was completed at the end of last month and is now undergoing builder’s machinery trials and loading trials.

September 28
The famous sail training ship Presidente Sarimento has completed a refit and refurbishment for life extension and is now restored to her full glory will shortly return to the Navy to begin another season of cadet training and sailing contests. She is now the oldest ship in commission in the Navy.

Tuesday, July 13th 2010, 10:09pm

Query: does that mean Presidente Sarmiento won't be available for Tall Ships Challenge 1939? It's in August... (and I need to write that!)

Presidente Vizcarra signals his interest in attending the new Argentine presidente's inauguration. He will try to avoid calling him Mugsy.

Tuesday, July 13th 2010, 10:15pm

Sadly it means it will miss the race! ;(

Tuesday, July 13th 2010, 10:26pm

Aha.

If you'd like, Chile can loan you the Almirante Uribe to sail for the Argentines. With Esmeralda's acquisition the Uribe is going to sail for the merchant marine, but she's currently inactive as crews switch around. If you want to borrow her, no problem.

Tuesday, July 13th 2010, 10:34pm

Ok its a deal.

At least next year Sarimento will be fresh still and newly refitted and much better to sail and live aboard.

Tuesday, July 13th 2010, 10:36pm

Okay, I'll make the change for my notes.