You are not logged in.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, October 24th 2003, 2:09pm

THE SOUTH AFRICAN TELEGRAPH - EXPRESS, 27th of June

Folks,

please note the date of these news. I´m again somewhat late and the news are not as detailed as I originally wanted them to be but to push things a little bit I decided to puplish an extract containing the most important information.

THE SOUTH AFRICAN TELEGRAPH - EXPRESS
27th June 1921

[SIZE=3]The South African Empire is shocked! The Royal Family of Nordmark got wiped out![/SIZE]

Pretoria. At 12.30 o´clock today Primeminister Baron Jim Knopf spoke to clustered South African press.

“According to official reports from Nordmark King Gustav V, Queen Victoria and their unborn child got killed in an incredible assault while attending a naval exercise near Karlskrona. First reports indicated that unknown forces blew up a warship that passed the royal yacht at short distance. The force of the explosion sank the ship and killed many onboard the yacht nearby including the Royal Family.

The Government and the people of the South African Empire wherever they may be lament on the loss of King Gustav V and Queen Victoria. We express our deepest sympathies to the people of Nordmark to which we always had and always will have a very special relationship due to our both great nations history.

Whatever is necessary and whatever can be done to help our brothers and sisters in Nordmark will be done.”

When asked why the King had not delivered this very important piece of information to his fellow countrymen it was announced by a spokesman:

“The King regrets not to be able to announce the information just presented by the Primeminister to the people of the South African Empire.

On the 24th of June the King and the Royal Family got informed by Nordmarks ambassador of the sudden and unexpected death of King Gustav V of Nordmark and his wife Queen Victoria, beloved daughter of King William and Queen Anna-Sophie. [Note1]. Due to the unenlightened circumstances of King Gustavs and Queen Victorias passing no information could be given to the puplic.

Orders were given immediately to prepare the RSANs fastest and longest-ranged warship to carry the King and several members of the Royal Family to Stockholm where they will attend the funeral of King Gustav V and their daughter Victoria. These preparations were successful and late on the 25th the Royal Family boarded RSAN South Africa in Durban and left the harbour soon after accompanied by RSAN Cameroon. The ships are expected to arrive in Stockholm via St. Helena and Lisbon on the 16th of July. [Note 2]”

[Note 1] Victoria was born 1887 as Williams and Anna-Sophies first child hardly a year after their marriage in 1886.

[Note 2] RSAN South Africa is best suited for the high speed cruise (longest ranged) to Stockholm thus the Royal Family uses her instead of their Royal Yacht. RSAN Cameroon is used as some kind of back-up just for the chase South Africas machinery breaks down.

From Durban to St. Helena it will take 7 ½ days at an average speed of 19kn and the BBs will arrive with their bunkers dry. Half a day will be necessary for refuelling and some minor checks before they leave harbour again to head for Lisbon where they will arrive approx. 7 ½ days later (at an average speed of 19kn again). Once refuelled another ~4 ½ days at 22kn are necessary to reach Stockholm.

To calculate how long it will take and how fast my ships can travel I measured the distance using a world map and then started springsharp for fuel consumption. I used the tonnage dedicated to fuel given for normal range (10500nm at 12kn, 2540ts fuel) and altered range and cruising speed afterwards (3600nm at 19kn, 2526ts fuel for example).

Friday, October 24th 2003, 4:16pm

interesting

Just how long would it take to say sail from Plymouth to New York?

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, October 24th 2003, 4:51pm

Depends...

I can´t answer that because I don´t know what ship you´ll use.

The easiest way is to take a world map, measure the distance, calculate what it is in nautical miles and play around with your ships range. You´ll get an average speed this way allowing you to calculate how long it would take.... That´s it.