You are not logged in.

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 12:56am

Ireland Q3/1936

Industrial Allocation
- 1/2 factories producing 1,000t materials, 73 tons from stockpile; 930 tons used, 0 tons stockpiled for Q4/36; 1/2 factories dedicated to infrastructure, .1IP produced.

Infrastructure Development
1 factory dedicated to building Type 0 Slip at Galway, .1 IP added, .2IP remaining: will complete December 1936.

Naval Construction
at Galway:
1 Type 1 drydock - S-1 Connacht, 1,688 tons required, 923 tons added Q2, 290 tons remaining until completion. Laid down 0April 1st 1936; launches September 30th 1936; completes February 17th, 1937.
1 Type 0 drydock - HEBCo production of MSV-1 Marcus Samue: Laid down July 1st; launches August 24th; completes November 15th, 1936. Uses civilian construction tonnage.

at Rushbrooke:
1 Type 0 slip - Under construction.

Dockside:
N/A

On Trials:
- F-1 Deirdre, on trials until September 15th.
- F-2 Eithne, on trials until September 15th.

From factories:
- M-1, 75-ton Motor Torpedo Boat.
- M-2, 75-ton Motor Torpedo Boat.

Transactions
None

Other Notes
N/A

Order of Battle (Irish Naval Service) end of Q3
Note: X (Y)+Z = completed/in service (under repair/refit/rebuild) + under construction.
Destroyers...........................0(0)1
Frigate................................2(0)0 (On trials)
Gunboats:...........................1(0)0
MTB's:................................2(0)0
Mine sweepers:...................1(0)0
Motor Lifeboat:....................1(0)0

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Aug 16th 2008, 8:32pm)

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 1:38am

100 ton MTB????

Isn't that a bit on the big side?

Elco 80' PT boats were only around 50 tons!

Or are we talking "Fairmile D" class or "S100" class??

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 1:53am

RE: 100 ton MTB????

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
Isn't that a bit on the big side?

Elco 80' PT boats were only around 50 tons!

Or are we talking "Fairmile D" class or "S100" class??

More along the lines of the German E-boat. The Schnellboot-1934 (not present in WW) is 105 tons, while the Schnellboot-1933, at 92 tons, is in service in WW Germany. Theoretically the Irish M-1s have a lot of weight going to make them really sea-worthy and give them longer legs and a fair gun armament. (Or something like that, oyez...)

Let me find where I stashed my specs, and make sure I'm not ripping off an existing design...

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Aug 16th 2008, 1:54am)

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 2:58am

The two German boats are at those sizes loaded, so they're a bit lighter in light tonnage (though just for simplicity I've costed them at 105 tons).

In 1935, the first boats of the historical Schnellboote-1937 type were built, for Persia, though they were armed a bit more heavily. Germany's built 4 boats of the type so far in 1936,, with German weapons rather than Persian-specified ones.

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 1:26pm

I'd be inclined to say 75 tons for an s-boat in "Light" tonnage. Save the tonnage, you might need it later!!

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 6:35pm

Okay then. Here are some suggested specs for a 75-ton M-boat...

Length: 110 feet (33.53m)
Beam: 17 feet (5.18m)
Draft: 5 feet (1.52m)
Tonnage: 75 tons light
Speed: 40 knots
Range: 750 miles at speed
Engines: 3 diesel, running 3 shafts
Weapons: 20mm Oerlikon in mount aft; 4x .50 cal Vickers .50cal in twin mounts (gun tubs) abaft bridge; 2x 533cm torpedo tubes
Crew: 20 men

If that looks good to folks, I'll change the data and add the savings to the Connacht.

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 6:39pm

The one issue I'd have is the engines: where would Ireland be sourcing high-power, moderate weight diesels? Most MTB engines were gasoline powered, not diesels.

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 7:08pm

I thought most MTBs were diesel-powered? Certainly at least the Schnellboots I was looking at as examples had the MAN and Daimler Benz diesels installed. It doesn't really matter to me which they use, I had just seized upon diesels because they were on the S-boots, and because I already had diesels in the baby minehunter Aisling.

It's easy enough to fix - Ireland should have good relations with all of the major technical powers in Europe and North America, so they can probably order their pick of gasoline and diesel engines provided they have a good credit line.

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 8:21pm

As far as I know, Germany's about the only major user of diesels in MTBs at this time, most of the other countries used gasoline engines.

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 8:31pm

Hm. In that case I'll just use gasoline engines. I'm presuming there's no problem with the diesels in the Aisling, right?

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 8:54pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
I thought most MTBs were diesel-powered?

It's easy enough to fix - Ireland should have good relations with all of the major technical powers in Europe and North America, so they can probably order their pick of gasoline and diesel engines provided they have a good credit line.

Denmark can offer the "World Leading" B+W Marine Diesel series, currently being used in the MTC's of the KDM.

(B+W later (1970's IIRC) merged with Mann in otl, to create Mann B+W)

THIS is one of the FEW factual historical fields that Denmark DID lead the world in, MARINE DIESELS!!

(That and electromagnetics, having discovered it!!)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Commodore Green" (Aug 16th 2008, 8:57pm)

Wednesday, August 20th 2008, 4:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
I thought most MTBs were diesel-powered?

Denmark can offer the "World Leading" B+W Marine Diesel series, currently being used in the MTC's of the KDM.

(B+W later (1970's IIRC) merged with Mann in otl, to create Mann B+W)

THIS is one of the FEW factual historical fields that Denmark DID lead the world in, MARINE DIESELS!!

(That and electromagnetics, having discovered it!!)

Missed this somehow. I think I'll go this direction, if you don't mind. *Orders some B+W Marine Diesels for the M-1s and future Aislings.*

Wednesday, August 20th 2008, 5:06pm

B+W would be more than happy to fulfill the orders of the Irish Government.