You are not logged in.

Monday, November 20th 2006, 7:52pm

December 15th 1932- WAR! The War Ministry announces our forces have crossed the border of Bolivia to support the Chilean nation fight against Bolivia's aggression. Reports are not being confirmed but the War Ministry stated that indeed the Bolivian border troops have been pushed aside and our troops continue to move deeper into Bolivian territory.

Meanwhile the Foreign Ministry and the Office of the Presidency admitted that indeed the province of Tacna has been returned to Peru as a result of the Savannah meetings between Chile and Peru. Also an official response about the status of the province of Arica was given but without mentioning the area by name and quote; "we consider the border dispute with Chile as finish, with the borders agreed during the Savannah meetings as final and binding."

Monday, November 20th 2006, 8:45pm

Excerpts from Field Marshall Ricardo Arjona’s private diary

December 15th 1932 - “We are finally at war, our artillery rumbling over the mountains at exactly 05:30 hours, half hour after the Ambassador to Bolivia gave a copy of our war declaration to their president. The weak border patrol pickets defending the passes were no match for our glorious Army of the Andes (1) who pushed them aside without too much trouble. With the bulk of the Bolivian Army (2) either blockaded by the Chileans or defending their other borders I feel confident of our victory.

December 18th 1932 - “Our Air Corps have achieved local air superiority over the area but at a terrible cost. (3) The aircrafts flew by the Bolivians (4) turned out to be superior to what we had available and their pilots were more experienced but we beat them thanks to having superior numbers. Now our forces finally could advance without worrying about strafed by enemy planes.”

December 25th 1932 - “The city of Guaqui fell last night to the 1st Infantry Division, a fitting Christmas present for the Bolivian people. With the 3rd Infantry Division covering the right flank and the 6th Infantry advancing on the other side of the Lake Titicaca I’m confident my forces could reach La Paz pretty soon.”

December 31st 1932 - “Damn Bolivians! They launched a counteroffensive two days ago aimed to my right flank, supported by tanks, that almost broke thru and our lack of antitank guns almost cost us the battle. I was forced to violate one of the secret clauses of the Savannah Agreement by bringing forward the Iberian 2nd Mountain Division (5) to stop the enemy advance. The 2nd Division! What a misnomer! It turned out the Iberians indeed wanted to train their troops, so while the headquarter elements are from the 2nd Division the fighting units come from all the Mountain units in the Iberian Army. I guess the Iberians want to build a cadre of war veterans for their armed forces. But those Iberians had a plethora of weapons! Their antitank guns (6) broke the back of the enemy advance and their massive number of heavy machineguns (7) decimated the accompanying infantry. I will try to send the Iberians to the rear as soon as I can but I could be forced to ask for more reinforcements, the advance in the direction of La Paz also getting harder.”

(1) Typical propaganda crap. Initial forces are assigned to advance in the direction of La Paz. The regular army 1st and 3rd Infantry divisions with the newly raised 6th Infantry and a Border Guard Cavalry Regiment form this so-called Army of the Andes. The Iberian 2nd Mountain Division and two Border Guard Cavalry Regiments are the theater reserves.

(2) Going by OTL Bolivian Army at the end of the Chaco War, the Bolivians should have available 8 infantry divisions and 2 cavalry ones. If we can agree that at least half that forces are fighting in Chile that leaves 4 infantry divisions and one cavalry one to cover the borders with Paraguay, Brazil and Argentina plus the one with Peru. I calculated one infantry division is covering the Peruvian front at the beginning but by the end of December IMO another Bolivian division should be operating in the area plus militia forces also. Will not get any easier. At least it seems the Chileans get the bulk of the Bolivian Army bottled up.

(3) I say 10 to 15% of the original Peruvian forces allocated (all German build fighters) are either destroyed or damaged beyond repair by the end of December. We only won this one thanks to the beating the Bolivian air forces received at the hands of the Chileans. No Italian fighter has entered the fray yet but could be forced if casualties continue.

(4) IMO either US or Italian aircrafts. Maybe that’s the reason we decided to purchase Cr-32’s. Also they are experienced pilots while mine are green.

(5) That’s what CG send me. 4 Media Banderas, one from each division and one artillery regiment. I guess he want to create a cadre of war veterans perhaps. Also a secret clause with Chile said no Iberians involved in combat but Arjona was forced by circumstances. I bet he will try to keep this under wraps.

(6) Peru’s antitank guns are still in Peru, their crews being trained on them. The Iberians guns are a welcomed addition.

(7) at least compared to South American standards they seemed like a lot. IIRC it could be between 48 to 72 HMGs depending of their TO &E.

Monday, November 20th 2006, 8:49pm

*Giggles at the thought that Iberia is indirectly helping Chile...*

Monday, November 20th 2006, 9:15pm

"Oh the ironity!"

Monday, November 20th 2006, 9:29pm

Irony is always fun, especially if it grates people for generations to come...on both sides.

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 2:27am

Just a Day-Dream but.....

maybe someone in Chile will see the light and realise Iberia is not the bad guy anymore?????

Yeah, I know, wishful thinking!!!!

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 6:33am

Irony? More like Chile was bullied into allowing Peru to gain a bufferzone and lost territory.

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 6:44am

The war is young.

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 7:46am

Heh, the war may turn into a full scale route.

Tuesday, November 21st 2006, 1:56pm

December 27th 1932- The War Ministry announced today a deal has been reached with the North American aeronautical company Lockheed for the purchase of 15 of their newest products. The aircrafts, know in the United States as the YP-24 and the YA-9 fighters and attack planes, were divided in an order of eight fighters and 7 attack aircrafts. Their arrival is expected by the end of the summer (OOC: end of Q1 1933) and the purchase of more is very possible.

(OOC: With the losses being suffered by our air forces we are scrambling all thru the globe searching for aircrafts. We pretty much will buy anything fairly modern that flies. By the end of the war my air force will look like a used car lot.)