You are not logged in.

Thursday, June 16th 2005, 9:07pm

Gotta stick with Indian usage here, Swampy.

I can't see that being correct. If it's main deck to waterline, with decks being 2.4 metres high, Anton has a 6 metre barbette, Bruno an 8.4 metre barbette, and Caesar a 10.8 metre barbette. In that case, the "doubly superfiring" barbette ought to be about 30% heavier than a "singly superfiring" barbette. If the barbette has more than four levels within it, that is...

That might be what Gavin's sim gives, I'm not sure.

Friday, June 17th 2005, 6:33am

Well as far as I can tell you have enough room to use a Brooklyn layout, which if I'm following the conversation right, will save you 60% of the barbette weight that turret Caesar currently uses.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, June 17th 2005, 9:21am

Guys,

why should a barbet of a superfiring turret be so much higher? The armored part (above deck) might be larger, thus heavier, but the total height of the barbet is not affected in first place.

A turret has several platforms below it for mechanics as well as shell and powder handling. The barbets purpose is to protect this delicate and not BLAM(tm) resistant material. Further more it carries the weight of the turret into the hull.

So with the exception that a turret sits high enough on a hull to have all its platforms above hull structure members - to which the barbet needs to be linked to fix it - I don´t see why a barbet of a superfiring turret needs to be exceptional high.

I´m away from my sources but probably I can provide a drawing at the weekend showing what I mean. IIRC, I had a drawing somewhere showing a hull where A barbet goes down to the bottom of the ships hull with magazins around it and B barbet ending higher in th ehull with magazins below...

Maybe one of you can provide such drawing too or look for a detailed drawing of DIDO or YAMATO. DIDO probably is a good example for our discussion even though I´m not sure how many platforms there actually were below a 13,3cm twin, while YAMATO would provide an example where a 15cm triple mount is high enough on a hull to have it lengthened and connected to main hull structure elements.

Regarding The Docs design I´d go with what he had originally.

Friday, June 17th 2005, 10:15am

I have a vague idea of what your talking about Hoo, unfortunately I don't have any pics that can demonstrate what your refering too.

At any rate my understanding was that light cruisers didn't have the same type of barbette that battleships did and that they were much shorter. They appear to go only one deck below the main deck and are capped on the bottom by a much narrower barbette that protects the ammo hoists.

If anyone can find pics of Saratoga's refit where they are removing the 8" turrets this is where I recall seeing this type of barbette.