You are not logged in.

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 10:12pm

Chilean News 1935

June 23
The Trans-Andean Railway between Valparaiso and Mendoza (Argentina) has seen unprecedented levels of traffic as it is one of the easiest means to reach Argentina as a result of the South African blockade against that country. The Chilean Army has reportedly dispatched many of its pioneer units to keep the railway in working condition, and the Army has posted numerous sentry posts along the entire line in order to prevent South African imperialist saboteurs. Travel over the line is still difficult, as the Trans-Andean Railway is a different gauge from the rest of the railway systems, and all goods require transfer; additionally, the line is one of the steepest and highest in the world.

September 19
The Armada de Chile has announced that following trends seen in the war against the South African aggressors, the Navy would commission a class of sixteen new minesweepers for 1935 and 1936. Based upon the Chilean admiralty's assessment of the situation (particularly in the River Plate region) such vessels will prove absolutely vital to the national defense should the war expand to Chilean borders.

October 1
The Armada de Chile received some criticism during a secret session of the Congress. Though a gag order was in effect for the session, intending to discuss matters related to the war, some news was passed to a small group of American, British and Atlantean reporters. A minority of senators and deputies were apparently concerned that the Chilean Navy was being too neutral in their conduct towards South African ships.

However, it is an open secret that Chilean ships regularly pass on sighting reports to Argentine Naval commanders, and Chilean weather reports are not routed to South African sources. The opposition apparently feels this position is not good enough to support Chile's belligerent allies.

Foreign reporters have speculated that the Armada de Chile is attempting to take a conciliatory and non-aggressive approach to supporting Argentine and Brazilian forces, while avoiding difficulties with South African belligerents and Nordish "neutral" vessels. [1]

November 3
The Chilean government has reportedly been playing a role in helping the International Red Cross aid captured and wounded South African prisoners of war in Argentine prison camps, such as passing censored mail from the prisoners to their families, and vice versa. Chile views this as a humanitarian concern unrelated to her sympathies during the war. Similarly, Chile has not expelled the South African Empire's ambassador to Santiago in the hope that it will lead to a swift end to the war.

December 31
The Fuerza Aérea de Chile (Chilean Air Force) announces that it has concluded a three-year aircraft supply contract with Atlantis to completely overhaul the current FACH order of battle, with deliveries starting in 1936. Specifics of types and numbers purchased are not available for public release, but is reportedly influenced by combat reports from the current war of liberation in Grand Uruguay.

Additionally, it was announced that Valdivia Aviación, a Valdivia-based glider manufacturer, would be designing a four-seat, single-engined bush airplane and a fourteen-seat twin engined bush airplane, for both civilian and military customers, as soon as appropriate powerplants were developed or licensed.

[1] A secret gentlemen's agreement. Wait until the 1936 news, or PM me if you absolutely must know. :P

Saturday, August 16th 2008, 10:58pm

Well, I must know but I think it would be much more interesting (and perhaps surprising) to wait for the 1936 news. :)

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 10:35am

Interesting news, Brock. One wonders what you have in mind with the Nordish....

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 3:44pm

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
Interesting news, Brock. One wonders what you have in mind with the Nordish....

Uh, crud. Did I not forward you that PM?

...I had a day were I got like 20 sent and 30 received, so I guess I missed one. Sending now....

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 9:10pm

Your a busy man Brock, you nefarious planner you! Maybe we should change your title to "The Brain"...NARF! :P

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 9:14pm

But I'd rather be "The Shadow"!

"...the same thing we do every night, Pinky! PLAN TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!"

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 9:39pm

Looks like someone already changed your title!

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 9:53pm

Whoa!

I'm special now! My momma always said I was speh-shul... :D