You are not logged in.

Thursday, November 12th 2009, 2:24am

Question for our Canadian members

Anyone have information on the Royal Naval College of Canada? Wikipedia and google are failing me, and trying to point to Royal Roads, which appearently wasn't active until the 40s.

All I've been able to find is that it was in Halifax, it was demolished in the Halifax explosion...and that's it. No explanation why the concept seemed to disappear for 20 years, and then showed up on the other coast instead.

Thursday, November 12th 2009, 3:01am

The RNCC was open untill 1921 when budget cuts closed it. The Royal Military college in Kingston would still be open however.

Thursday, November 12th 2009, 3:17am

So RNCC was actually rebuilt after the explosion? Or did the closure of 1921 just an official "Yeah, we're not rebuilding it, go somewhere else" kind of deal?

RMC seems more of an Army college that takes on Naval students due to lack of local options, but that's my uneducated American interpretation...

Thursday, November 12th 2009, 12:47pm

I'll have to do some further diging but to my knowledge it was running again at the time of its closing up.
It was closed IIRC more due to post war budget cuts than anything.

You could script things so that James Dunsmuir dies earlier so that Hatley Castle can be purchased sooner so that Royal roads military College is in turn opened sooner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Roads_University

Given the Wesworld size of the Canadian navy it might be even more important to get a college up and running to train reserve officers.

Thursday, November 12th 2009, 6:00pm

That's been my line of thought, that or RNCC wouldn't have closed. Halifax makes more sense to me than Royal Roads, since that's where most of the fleet is, and that's where most of the population is. In the 20s and 30s, getting a new recruit all the way out to Vancouver would still be something of an adventure I think.

Friday, November 13th 2009, 12:24am

Royal roads is VERY close to Esquimalt so while it would be somewhat difficult to get most new recruits out there they don't have to go far once their trained. Not closing RNCC would be the easy option. There hasn't been any news on it, so technically in wesworld it could easily have not taken place.

Friday, November 13th 2009, 12:52am

"If there hasn't been any news on it" ...does that mean that the fire which destroyed the Chilean merchant ship Flora - formerly the five-masted P-Liner Potosi - didn't occur in 1925? And maybe the Chilean Navy can buy her? :P :D

[SIZE=1]Yes yes, I'm shameless in my attempts to acquire a Flying P-Liner to turn into the schoolship Esmeralda. I should have tried to buy the Padua before the Tall Ships Race...[/SIZE]

Friday, November 13th 2009, 12:58am

Well you tell me if its plausable man! :P

My main line of thinking is that the Canadian navy is larger than historical so those budget cuts would likely have gone into closing army bases or not even occured at all.

Friday, November 13th 2009, 1:13am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Well you tell me if its plausable man! :P

Flora ex-Potosi was one of the two large five-masted barques built for the P-Line (the other was Preussen, which was lost before WWI). Potosi was seized in Chile during WWI, and sailed until 1925 under the Chilean flag as Flora. On September 15th 1925, her load of coal caught fire and the captain brought her to the Argentine port of Comodoro Rividavia, and the ship burned while the Argentines tried to find a fire engine (it took them three days merely to find one). On October 1st she then exploded, was abandoned, and beached; she then disappeared and was discovered by the Argentine Navy a bit less than a hundred miles away. The Argentine Navy sank her with gunfire (on October 18th) since she was a threat to shipping and was not salvageable (after reading the above, I'd probably agree! :P ) Still... I wonder about the Pamir now...

I'm also thinking the Canadian Navy, being larger, should maintain it's historical naval academy.

Friday, November 13th 2009, 3:28am

That's generally the route I'm pursuing, with maybe an Annex at Royal Roads for Pacific-based training. At this point, I'm just curious as to what (if anything) was rebuilt after the Halifax Explosion historically, and what became of it after the closure.

I've been to Annapolis, and seen Britannia Naval College from the river, so I'd assume it'd be more than the single building shown on Wikipedia;

As to Brock's question, Wesworld tends to have some leeway with whether historical accidents or scrappings occured; HMS Raleigh survived until 1929, when it was transferred to the RCN. I haven't heard anything on the British M-boats, or other such incidents, either.

mental note, steal M-boats from RN

Friday, November 13th 2009, 7:50am

Now this is an area of the wesworld timeline that im a little shaky on, but when did the Great War end? Was it the same as in OTL, or was it sooner, because if it ends sooner then there is a good possibility the French munitions ship isnt there in December 1917, and therefore doesnt cause the explosion.

Friday, November 13th 2009, 8:23am

I'm sure I'll be promptly corrected, but WWI played mostly as historical, just with the Lanteans taking the place of American intervention (the US stayed Neutral).

Friday, November 13th 2009, 2:17pm

I don't think we settled on a date but it would seem the war ended abit earlier as well.

Shin that photo is of the Royal naval college in Halifax, I can't find any pictures of RNC in that time period. I have a future brother-in-law currently serving at Esquimalt, perhaps I can get some information out of him....the non-classified kind that is.

Friday, November 13th 2009, 7:56pm

Yeah, I know that's the RNCC. Wikipedia implies that's the building (or one of them) that was destroyed in the 1917Explosion.