You are not logged in.

Thursday, March 17th 2005, 11:32am

Greek Navy to rebuild Helle class Heavy Cruisers*pic*

[SIZE=3]Greek Navy to rebuild Helle class Heavy Cruisers.[/SIZE]

Today the Navy ministry announced that it will be rebuilding the Helle class cruisers Helle (C-4) and Kriti (C-5) over 1927-28. The 12,000ton cruisers (pictured below) were laid down in 1909 and completed in 1912. The 8" main armament were of American manufacture while the turbine engines were imported from Great Britain.

Plans include new boilers and engines that will raise speed to 30 knots. Recent assessments of the 2nd Fleet stated that Greek cruisers lacked aircraft capacity to adequately forefill their scouting role. The rebuild is said to include capacity for upto 3 aircraft. The Eurybiades class cruisers have also been critisised for their lack of flag facilities so both Helle and Kriti will be fitted as flagships.

Naval officers have questioned the Ministry over the decision to rebuild these ships as they were not included in the 1925 10 year program. Ministry officials responded that these ships are being rebuilt in response to recent rebuilding going on within the Turkish navy. Asked if the rebuilding of the Turkish Navy was a problem and if Greece should withdraw from the Clieto Treaty, the ministry spokesman declined to comment.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, March 17th 2005, 2:33pm

*cool*

Some minor errors I may have detected...

I´m a little bit confused regarding perspective. Concentrating on the bow her stern seems to be further away. Concentrating on her stern her bow seems further away.

I guess the problem here are her turrets. Given the airintakes amidship her bow has to be in front but one can see no part of her main turrets frontplates.

Anyway, I like your work. ;o)

Thursday, March 17th 2005, 3:17pm

If that is the case, then I am not paying any attention. That or I need glasses.
O_O

Thursday, March 17th 2005, 3:36pm

great pic

I presume the aircraft facilities will replace Q turret?

Quoted

I guess the problem here are her turrets. Given the airintakes amidship her bow has to be in front but one can see no part of her main turrets frontplates.

I think A and B turrets are trained slightly to starboard.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, March 17th 2005, 4:13pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Swamphen
I presume the aircraft facilities will replace Q turret?

Quoted

I think A and B turrets are trained slightly to starboard.

Well, either turrets aft or forward were mirrored and due to the "dark" part aft of each turret they optically doesn´t seem to fit...

Thursday, March 17th 2005, 5:07pm

I second Stephan's comments.

The main turrets look a bit wierd.

The 5" casemates don't seem to fit in that well either.

Any chance of a full SS report?

Thursday, March 17th 2005, 7:15pm

Nice picture Roger! I can't wait to see her as rebuilt, nor can the Turks......

Its nice to see that even the small Turkish navy can influence another navy's plans.

Friday, March 18th 2005, 3:29am

Quoted

I´m a little bit confused regarding perspective. Concentrating on the bow her stern seems to be further away. Concentrating on her stern her bow seems further away.

So how hard would it be to pick her heading in action. ; )

Quoted

Its nice to see that even the small Turkish navy can influence another navy's plans.

I think if Turkey crapped on a log and floated down the Narrows - Greece would take notice. ; )

Thanks for the feedback. I'll work on the turrets and the 5" seem a bit too big.

Cheers,

Friday, March 18th 2005, 6:43am

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval

I think if Turkey crapped on a log and floated down the Narrows - Greece would take notice. ; )

Cheers,

Ha ha ha! So true!!!

Friday, March 18th 2005, 11:38am

Mwhahaha.

Look! They've eaten the Trojan peanuts!

The plan is working ; )

Cheers,

Friday, March 18th 2005, 12:45pm

Beware of Alt_Navals bearing gifts.

Friday, March 18th 2005, 3:16pm

Beware gifts bearing Greeks!

Friday, March 18th 2005, 7:24pm

Quoted

Originally posted by alt_naval
Mwhahaha.

Look! They've eaten the Trojan peanuts!

The plan is working ; )

Cheers,

.......wait sir weren't those peanuts laiden with explosives?

*BOOM!!*