You are not logged in.

Friday, June 10th 2005, 3:26pm

India News Wrapup, Q4/27

6 October

The 1927 SATSUMA exercises are getting underway in the waters around western Japan. Among those vessels representing India are the battleships Akbar and Babur, the aircraft carrier Urumi, and a number of cruisers and destroyers. The new battleship Jahangir is not taking part, as the vessel has over two months remaining in her shakedown cruise.

Admiral Kashiram Paswan told AWNR that the format for the exercise is somewhat different from previous iterations. “Our hosts have put together what one might consider a raiding scenario, in which the two opposing forces seek to defend strategic bases and strike at each other’s.”

Although Akbar and Urumi are new ships, Admiral Paswan expressed optimism that they would do well in the exercise. “The majority of Akbar’s crew come from Dara Shikoh, while Urumi, though six weeks from finishing her shakedown cruise, includes many of the crew, and virtually all the airgroup, from Otta. I’m also pleased that this year we have some fast major units to contribute, as it adds a new dimension to the exercise that previously could be addressed only by Japan.”

22 October

Crowds are flocking to Indian cinemas to see The Emperor and His Lady, the first motion picture filmed in India to been shown nation-wide. The twenty-eight minute epic stars Shyam Sachin and Meera Ullal as Shah Jahan and his Queen, Mumtaz Begum. It recounts their long marriage and deep love for each other, culminating with the construction of the Taj Mahal after the queen’s tragic death.

Historians aren’t quite so enamoured with the film, claiming that Shah Jahan is portrayed rather more favourably than is warranted, while conservative religious groups protested what they called a “vulgar exhibition of human sin”, referring to a scene in which the two characters kiss. Interviews with departing viewers suggested that most people were either unaware of historical inaccuracies or did not find the kissing scene to be problematic.

With the success of the film, there are signs that cinematographers are taking notice. No less than four enterprises have opened shop in Mumbai, prompting a visiting American producer to refer to the city as “Mollywood”. Other historical epics are now being filmed about Shivaji and Brashkar, and there is word that the Indian Navy has been approached about helping in production of a film about the Battle of Port Blair.

14 November

The Indian Navy recently unveiled a new addition to its arsenal. The quadruple fifteen millimeter machine gun will be tested on several new warships being laid down next year.

The weapons are mounted in two pairs, one above the other, with the two sets separated by a mounting that allows the weapon to elevate up to seventy degrees. A shield protects the weapon and its crew from bullets and splinters.

Yesterday, a number of Indian officers watched the weapon being tested against a surplus fighter plane and a piece of steel plating such as that found on small torpedo craft. Military attaches from South Africa and the SATSUMA alliance were also invited to attend the firing.

One Indian commander noted, “I was intrigued to see the gunner fire one gun for ranging purposes before putting a three second burst into the airplane, resting on the ground a couple hundred metres away. Even though I was startled by the noise, I could not help but see the cloud of sawdust and wood chips erupt from the target. We later inspected the aircraft and counted several dozen large bullet holes. I have no doubt that the aircraft would have crashed after such damage.”

As for the noise, the officer explained it as, “Dreadful. Absolutely dreadful.”

25 November

In Asir, there are reports that several pilgrims entering into Saudi Arabia have been arrested at the border. It is not known why the arrests were made, nor does AWNR know the identities of the people in question.

26 November

In Porbander, the Raj said that he was surprised by the resignation of Filipino President Enrique Monastario. “I had no idea that El Presidente was so ill. I certainly wish him the best of luck in fighting the disease.”

The Raj invited Acting President Pina to visit him at his convenience, but noted, “He may well be busy attending to his duties and campaigning for next year’s election.”

One reporter took the opportunity to ask the Raj his thoughts on the two declared candidates and their platforms. “That is for the people of the Philippines to determine. They don’t need my opinion to help them vote.”

29 November

The Saudi government says it has caught a squad of Indian saboteurs trying to infiltrate Saudi Arabia.

In Riyadh, Prince Yusef Ali Ibn Saud told reporters, “We have suspected for some time that India is attempting to undermine the kingdom. That they have chosen to insult pious pilgrims by sneaking their soldiers in amongst them is disgraceful. Rest assured, we will punish these would-be war criminals.

In Hyderabad, Foreign Affairs Minister Jal Kadharni responded by saying, “India is not engaged in covert actions against Saudi Arabia. We are not sending any military personnel into that country. I urge the Saudi government to release these innocent Indian citizens rather than subject them to an unjust trial.”

1 December

The Navy’s 1928 estimates have been released. Speaking from the quarterdeck of the new light cruiser Dhaka, where this year’s press conference was held, Admiral Kashiram Paswan unveiled a work plan with few surprises.

“Total construction commenced by the Navy in 1928 will include two cruisers of the Vadodara class, two destroyers, four torpedo boat tenders, and twelve anti-submarine launches”, Admiral Paswan said. The two cruisers are so-called “heavy” cruisers, a category which also encompasses the Hyderabad class. Meanwhile, the Bhubaneshwar class destroyers are modest improvements on the Bassein class. “The type is notable primarily for its improved torpedo armament and the provision of modest command facilities for destroyer squadron leaders.”

The tenders, meanwhile, are small craft designed to keep a complement of torpedo-boats and anti-submarine launches operational. “This is particularly important in more isolated operating areas, where there may otherwise be no infrastructure to assist in this regard”, noted the Admiral. “It would reasonable to assume that these units will be deployed to locations such as Diego Garcia or Asir.”

A number of vessels will be the subject of refits or more extensive work. The cruisers Hyderabad, Port Blair, and Jaipur will all be refitted, while a fourth cruiser, Chennai, will be rebuilt as a training vessel, similar to work now taking place on her sister Goa. The remaining four destroyers of the G-113 class will be rebuilt as sloops. Finally, the protected cruiser Mysore, used as a training ship for many years, will now be de-militarized and handed over to the Naval Heritage Museum in Chennai.

Infrastructure development will see the completion of a Type 1 drydock at Male.

15 December

Between six and ten people are believed dead following an explosion at a pilgrim’s camp in southern Saudi Arabia. Prince Yusef Ali Ibn Saud said, “We have evidence that the explosion was a device being assembled by Indian commandoes posing as pilgrims. Statements from several nearby witnesses collaborate that this was the case. Obviously we will have to introduce much stricter security measures at our borders with the occupied lands of Asir.

Indian Foreign Minister Kadharni hotly denied the Saudi interpretation. “It’s a fabrication. As I said before, we are not starting a covert war against the Saudis. Assuming there even has been an explosion, it’s more likely that this was an attack targeting Indian citizens.”

Minister Kadharni also denounced Saudi refusals to give Indian diplomats access to several men arrested last month. “I have every reason to believe these men are being tortured into giving false confessions so that the Saudis can further whatever agenda they have.”

Friday, June 10th 2005, 8:31pm

"good news"

Hmm, looks like the Saudis are preparing themselves to be stomped by SATSUMA...

Friday, June 10th 2005, 8:41pm

Man. You're too eager for a fight. :-)

Saturday, June 11th 2005, 6:18am

Quoted

Originally posted by Swamphen
Hmm, looks like the Saudis are preparing themselves to be stomped by SATSUMA...

...looks more like the Philippines are preparing themselves to be stomped.

Good thing India is more diplomatic!

Saturday, June 11th 2005, 4:32pm

*examines Filipino forces*

*compares that to Saudi forces*

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Saturday, June 11th 2005, 4:37pm

As will the Saudis to your lack of faith...their faith is what might stomp the "Eastern Infidels"

Saturday, June 11th 2005, 4:48pm

Quoted

*examines Filipino forces*

*compares that to Saudi forces*

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

*Looks at Filipino's explosive habits*
I find your confidence alarming. :-)
.. and one thing I forgot to mention before...
BOLLYWOOD... starts right her and now in 1927.
... I mean MOLLYWOOD. :-)

Saturday, June 11th 2005, 5:03pm

Exactly...nobody in this world's calling it Bombay, so I can't nick-name it Bollywood. Stay tuned for further developments on that front.

What's all this Filipino/Saudi "Tale of the tape" stuff, then? Did I inadvertantly refer to a SATSUMA invasion of Arabia at some point?

Saturday, June 11th 2005, 5:13pm

Itchy Alliance

Quoted

Did I inadvertantly refer to a SATSUMA invasion of Arabia at some point?

No, but your islander ally really is itching for a fight, as he's the one who mentioned SATSUMA first.

Saturday, June 11th 2005, 5:30pm

If a war is ever started between SATSUMA and another alliance, it will probably be caused by the Filipino being too eager for a fight.
:-)

Saturday, June 11th 2005, 7:42pm

Quoted

What's all this Filipino/Saudi "Tale of the tape" stuff, then? Did I inadvertantly refer to a SATSUMA invasion of Arabia at some point?

*first response referring to naval matters censored to avoid spoilers*

The Filipinos obviously have tons of experience with tropical(wet) operations...but tropical(dry)/desert experience is "slim to none, and Slim left town". So if a shooting war starts between the Indians and Saudis, the Philippines will be sending "observers". :-)

[SIZE=1]...and a few Ninja are never a bad thing to have around...[/SIZE]

Saturday, June 11th 2005, 7:55pm

Spoilage

Quoted

*first response referring to naval matters censored to avoid spoilers*

In that part of the world you'll need refrigeration to avoid spoilage like that...:)

Saturday, June 11th 2005, 9:21pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10
If a war is ever started between SATSUMA and another alliance, it will probably be caused by the Filipino being too eager for a fight.
:-)

I'd stake the farm on that one...

Sunday, June 12th 2005, 1:53am

I'll take some of that action!!

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, June 12th 2005, 3:07pm

If he´s that eager for a fight send him over to the SAE and he can have one... The RSAN always likes to have some target practive. Oh wait - Philippines BLAM (tm) industry would most likely spoil all the fun.... :o)

Sunday, June 12th 2005, 4:08pm

Three SAE admirals are standing on a dock hotly debating something-or-other, when suddenly a message boy arrives...

Messager: Have you heard the news? The Filipinos are ready to commission a new battlecruiser.

Admirals: !!!

*long pause*

Admiral #1: We'll be watching from over there...

Admiral #2: ...across the river...

Admiral #3: ...on another continent.

^_^