You are not logged in.

Thursday, March 10th 2016, 10:23pm

Numerous based popped out of nowhere without ever having been mentioned in the news as being built or having been built or even being taken into operation therefore I do not accept the existence of those bases just because someone suddenly says it's there (and I am looking at those Atlantean bases when I type this as well as Brock, who suddenly mentioned the existence of a base near the South Pole that was never mentioned before in the news and thus ruined my news ideas).

If I went back and re-posted the news discussing the entire ARC program, would you accept it then?

As to the other issues that were mentioned, I'd offer this reminder. If anyone has questions about interactions with NPCs like Nepal and Tibet - or Czechoslovakia, Switzerland, Poland, etc - then you should ask a moderator for guidance.

Walter brought up some decent points about Nepal's historical closed status, but as a moderator I'd caution people about taking too much away from that. It's not entirely unreasonable for players to post something while not knowing some particular esoteric factoid, and thus formulate their news on that basis. I don't want players who do know that particular esoteric factoid to then use it as a club. The proper method of dealing with the situation is to have a mature and polite discussion. Explain that there is a key piece of information that might have been overlooked, discuss it in a civil manner, and accept that sometimes other players will do things that you feel is not logical, is not historically justifiable, etc. Don't just declare it "all propaganda" and insist it never happened. That's not respectful of the time and work other people are putting into playing the game.

Friday, March 11th 2016, 2:08am

Quoted

If I went back and re-posted the news discussing the entire ARC program, would you accept it then?

Considering nothing was ever mentioned in the news regarding the planning, building or completion of those bases (any one of those would have been good enough for me), what is there to re-post? Back then, I looked back many times at every news articles of the nations involved going back many years and never found anything. You yourself even said that you could not find it. Actually when you said that, I was fairly sure that anything regarding those bases was either in PMs or on the FAR board and that means it is not part of history. The only thing I did find IIRC was the airship flying over the South Pole and dropping a flag.

Quoted

That's not respectful of the time and work other people are putting into playing the game.

Actually, if I were in parador I would be evil and take advantage of this situation. :)

1 - Considering the presence of the British who are not allowed into Nepal, they must climb on my side.
2 - I would assume some happy Chinese officials with lots of money for allowing the Bharati-British team into Tibet.
3 - Part of that money could find its way into the funds for the Chinese Himalaya Expedition.
4 - One condition should be that the Bharati-British expedition shares its information with the Chinese. This very recent information would be invaluable for the Chinese Himalaya Expedition.
5 - The Bharati-British expedition climbing the Chinese side would result in much, much more interest among the Chinese public when it comes to the Chinese Himalaya Expedition (= more donations) then when they had climbed on the Nepal side.
6 - Since they made it to the top and safely back, it would confirm the existence of a 'safe' north route to the top which the Chinese could use as well for their own attempt.
7 - Bharati-British expedition needs food and other supplies = happy locals with those goods = happy tax collectors.
8 - Taunt the Nepalese and brag about the Chinese side being conquered first. (of course that would end up being a Monty Python-like happening: "I fart in your general direction!")

Friday, March 11th 2016, 4:33am

Frankly, I don't see any reason why the Bharat-British expedition couldn't have climbed from Nepal. Rocky's posts regarding the expedition use the Nepali name for the mountain (Sagarmatha), not the Tibetan name (Chomolungma). And I'd say that Rocky's the person responsible for making any pronouncements on behalf of Nepal. (Similarly, I'd view Parador as the player who's opinion holds the most weight regarding Tibet.)

Therefore, I'd presume that the British climbers received special permission to climb from the Nepali side.

I'll support whatever Rocky says, but I think you all are just trying to brew a tempest in a teacup.

Friday, March 11th 2016, 9:50am

Its a side issue totally irrelevant to the running of the core sim - naval stuff.
Far more important issues like the Italian factory corruption was never solved despite the combined wisdom of the player base. So I don't propose to waste time worrying over which side of a mountain was climbed.
As to back histories and the past, its past stuff now and many of the original players have moved on. A lot of wacky stuff happened in the 1920s and early 30s that makes little sense to the more ordered place WW has become.

In any case there are only 5 active players at the moment (controlling 12 nations), at times its been down to 3. It's getting a bit like an echo chamber and petty stuff like this is of no consequence to the rest of silent WW.
Brock is correct, people have put a lot of time and work into playing the game but the rewards for doing so are shrinking, whose listening to what we post? Just us 5 active members and some members who check in occasionally to see what's going on.
Some of that crazy 1920s and 30s stuff was about vibrancy (we were all younger and more crazy then!), we've lost that now. We all went into fortress mode, now we have alliances etc. where most the other players have gone. We've hoovered up nations, like I took on BelNeth to try and keep vital nations ticking over as players left in an attempt to keep the wheels on the cart.
I still get enjoyment from the sim, but its not like the old days and its getting to the point where the effort/reward ratio is getting low.

*pessimism mode off*

Friday, March 11th 2016, 10:42am

A few words from my side and then the subject is finished for me.

The most important first, I did not want offending anyone or require something from someone !!! That with my expression of propaganda was not meant to be insulting, but rather as a "justification" for chineseische expedition. According to the motto "the Bharatis and the British can claim much - we do not believe it, we are calling for evidence." This evidence can come then, for example, from the chinese expedition. Is just part of an RPG as I understand RPG and enjoy playing it ....

Basically I also have no problem at all with the common Bharati / British expedition and the fact that they have climbed the Mt. Everest first. We could have embellish the story a little, as it has so beautifully described by Roo, if Rocky would have contacted me (if the B&B expedition has climbed from the chinese side) - that's all. Had just expected that "if" they have started from the chinese side, I would have been informed. If the start from the nepalese side .... forget all the words after "we could have embellish the story ..." ;)

And who knows - may be the evidence will be presented after the chinese expedition has reached the summit - only to find out that they are the second on the top of the world.

But now it is enough about this topic.

Friday, March 11th 2016, 12:13pm

24. August 1946; Shanghai Telegraph
The chinese amphibious fleet will be strengthened. The fast troop transport APD-6 and APD-7 completed their operational training and have formally joined the fleet.

28. August 1946; Tianjin Post
The Bohai Shipbuilding Yards at Tianjin are solemnly decorated. The second batch of the new chinese Multi-Sloops are layed down. With these vessels the shipping in chinese coastal waters will get safer.

Friday, March 11th 2016, 6:53pm

Quoted

but rather as a "justification" for chineseische expedition

I think you might have tried to mix English and German there. :)

Quoted

we do not believe it, we are calling for evidence.

Actually that is quite true from an IC POV. The only thing the article said was "official confirmation" but nothing else. Just those words are no evidence. OTL there is more and stronger evidence that Mallory and Irvine actually reached the top of Everest in 1924 than that there is evidence in Wesworld that the Bharati-British team reached the top of Everest. :)

Quoted

We could have embellish the story a little, as it has so beautifully described by Roo, if Rocky would have contacted me (if the B&B expedition has climbed from the chinese side) - that's all. Had just expected that "if" they have started from the chinese side, I would have been informed.

If Rocky had known about the issue, I am sure that he had either posted something in the news about the British being allowed into Nepal (and it would actually be huge news that westerners are allowed into Nepal) or left Nepal as is and contacted you about climbing Everest from the Chinese side. This is just an issue that arose after the event had taken place when I was looking around at Everest stuff for Japan's expedition and the easiest way to resolve it in my opinion without having to alter the news is for us to assume that they went up the north side since Rocky never specified in the news where the team was climbing from.

... Maybe in the future of Wesworld, Tibet is the main area for people to climb Everest instead of Nepal. Lots of Chinese selling Everest souvenirs. Good for China, bad for Nepal. :)

Quoted

The chinese amphibious fleet will be strengthened. The fast troop transport APD-6 and APD-7 completed their operational training and have formally joined the fleet.

Ah yes. The Chinese are really busy planning their next invasion of the Philippines. :D

Monday, March 14th 2016, 1:24am

There is plenty of proof that the Anglo/Bharati expedition reached the summit. If and when anybody else gets to the summit, feel free to ask me what they find there.

One might also assume the successful climbers took photographs of each other grinning at the summit.

The expedition went up the Nepali side. This can be inferred from my not asking Parador for access to the Chinese side.

I did not consider the issue of Nepal being closed off to westerners or outsiders. I'm not worried about it, either.

Edit: Note that I am absolutely cool with nations believing, in-character, that Bharat and Britain totally made stuff up.

Monday, March 14th 2016, 2:18am

Thanks for clarifying, Rocky. :)

Monday, March 14th 2016, 12:13pm

30. August 1946; aboard U-204 coastal waters near Itu Aba Island
Captain Gao Ling looked through the periscope and saw a DC-3 which is landing on Itu Aba. His order was clearly - observation of the events on Itu Aba. For this purpose he put his boat daytime on ground and dipped only at irregular intervals to periscope depth to observe the island. The air in the boat was getting more and more stuffy and so he hoped the night come quickly. Because then he could surface - recharge the batteries, ventilate the boat and send the messages until he has to dive again in the cellar in the morning.

Tuesday, March 15th 2016, 8:46am

04. September 1946; Embassy of the Chinese Empire; London
"Do we have more information about the event in Hampshire ?" asked the chinese ambassador Chin Po Zhihong during the weekly meetings.

"We know only fragments." Su Bingtian answered."Rumors said, that it was an airplane."

"An airplane ?" asked the ambassador amazed. "It was exploded or why should an airplane have caused such a blast ?"

"That's a physical effect" Professor Liu Xiang explained to the ambassador."When an aircraft reaches a certain speed, the air is compressed so much that they can no longer flow over the wings continuously but 'suddenly' expands. This "bang" is then hearable. Thus the british scientists have built an aircraft that reaches this speed just over 1000 kph."

"This message must be encrypted immediately to Beijing." Chin Po Zhihong said.

Wednesday, March 16th 2016, 10:05am

18. September 1946; Observation Station of the chinese navy - Dongsha Island

"Sir, we got an emergency call from the SS Kao Chiang. Position 16dgs 98 min North - 115 dgs 12 min East. They are in heavy weather and have lost their rudder." reported the radio operator to his superior.

Colonel Mei Heng looked in its reference book for chinese ships and found it after some searching. "SS Kao Chiang - Passenger Cargo Vessel - 1030 GRT" he muttered. He went to the map of the south chinese sea, which lay on the desk in the middle of the room, marked the reported position and calculated the distance with a divider. "Nearly 450 km from here - a little bit more than one hour flight for our Flightboats." he said to himself, then he gave the order to the man at the telefon switchboard. "Forward the position to the commander of the flying boats and tell him, that he should send out a patrol flight. Chinese sailors are in danger."

Archiv picture of the SS Kao Chiang

Wednesday, March 16th 2016, 4:33pm

Scarborough Station, Wednesday, 18 September 1946

The radio operator called out to the watch officer, "Sir, we've picked a distress message - plain language - from a Chinese vessel."

The officer looked up, "Did they give their position?"

"16-98 North, 115-12 East" the operator replied.

The watch officer checked the coordinates on the plot... "Vicinity of the Pratas Islands" he thought. "We've got nothing in the area..."

"Any follow up?"

"None yet sir," the operator answered.

"We'll pass the report to headquarters for information... monitor the frequencies for further reports. I'll inform the dradis watch in case someone gets over anxious."

Thursday, March 17th 2016, 11:18am

18. September 1946; Seaplane Base - Dongsha Island
It was a short time later as the flying boat slowly took off from the water. In order to obtain an accurate bearing, the machine circling over the base and then flapped slowly in a southerly direction. During the start still took place in bright sunshine, the weather deteriorated more and more, as they approached the in the radiogram specified position. The sky was still overcast and the sea beneath them became increasingly restless. They are already in the foothills of a storm, but if they want to reach the ship, they have fly closer to the center of the storm. The aircraft was thoroughly shaken by gusts of wind and the whitecaps on the now towering waves showed the increasingly becoming seas.

A short time later ....

"Keep your eyes open comrades, we are almost at the ship's position" the navigator said via intercom.

"Radio operator; send the following message: Have reached mentioned area - Ship not in sight - start searching." ordered the pilot and start flying a big search circle.

Thursday, March 17th 2016, 12:05pm

Scarborough Station, Wednesday, 18 September 1946

The signals intercept unit at the station noted traffic between an aircraft and the Chinese base on Pratas Island. While the communications were coded, the circumstances suggested that an Air-Sea rescue aircraft had been launched in response to the earlier distress call. That, perhaps, might give codebreakers at Cavite an opportunity; or, it might not. Nevertheless the unit's operators closely monitored the ether to catch any signals.

Thursday, March 17th 2016, 4:39pm

18. September 1946; Aboard Flight 47

»Is there anything to see ?« the pilot asked.

»You are kidding. If that were happen so fast, we could congratulate ourselves. Rather, I believe that we are looking for hours and then we must leave again without achieving anything«, the copilot replied. »If we continue flying so deep, we can stop the search immediately in this damned weather«, he continued. »We should climb up to 450 feet, then maybe it enables us to find the ship or the lifeboats.«

Although their eyes burned, they searched in vain for hours. The men in the aircraft found neither the ship nor any other clues as debris or lifeboats.

»Message to base. Search unsuccessful - no debris or lifeboat found - Ship probably sunk - only fuel for return - must end searching.« the pilot said to the radio operator via intercom. After a final loop, the aircraft veered to the north. The SS Kao Chiang sank with all 269 passengers and crew members.

Thursday, March 17th 2016, 4:56pm

The spot is fairly close to the Paracels (I believe it's within one or two hundred miles), so it's likely that an Indochinese aviso (or a French ship) and some Indochinese search aircraft would show up, as well.

Friday, March 18th 2016, 10:09am

23. September 1946; Taipei Gazette