You are not logged in.

howard

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 3:37pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
Statisically the US 3"/50 is a better weapon than the 5"/38 mostly from it's higher muzzle velocity which gives greater accuracy. The extra shell size doesn't make much difference as you pretty much need a direct hit to shoot something down, the lethal radius (even if fused properly) isn't particularly large for these shells. A shell with a contact fuse fired at high velocity is the best solution to actually shoot something down. Thats where the 65/64 comes in, with very high velocity and a shell large enough to kill the largest aircraft with a single hit but all in a smaller lightweight weapon system. The automatic version is still some years off, but semi-auto with 20-25rpm is very doable.

Theres not a lot of difference between 37mm and 40mm weapons, both need 2 or 3 hits to bring something down.

Italian fire control systems for AA were two types, Galileo system which was similar to HACS and the later San Giorgio which was tachymetric.

The US 3/50 QF gun shell burst radius was entirely inadequate in 1936. The US Navy thinking at the time was timed proximity burst with a wall of shells from multiple guns set at a timed defensive range around an aircraft. The USN was particularly concerned about Japanese torpedo plane attack which is why the 5/38 has that ridiculously high 18 rounds per minute sustained rate of fire. Flat trajectory isn't all that it is cracked up to be. Being able to predict lead with the round to drop it in in front of the aircraft was. That is why US AAA guns got their mechanical analog ballistic computer fire control systems to go with their optical trackers during 1940-1943.

Its also why the 5/38 was developed. The US accepted a little ballistic lob as worth it for the extended barrel life and that ridiculous rate of fire. As it turned out at Santa Cruz and Eastern Solomons, they were entirely correct. When the IJNAF flyers reported back to Nagumo and Kondo that US AAA was terrifyingly accurate, they weren't talking about the little bit of 40 mm or numerous 1.1 inch they flew through, it was the 5/38s that shot down over 100 Japanese aircraft in those two battles.

H.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Jul 9th 2008, 3:39pm)

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 5:21pm

Quoted

Originally posted by howard
As it turned out at Santa Cruz and Eastern Solomons,

H.

As I recall, the USS South Dakota was credited with 26 aircraft at Santa Cruz, however that was also the first use of the proximity fused 5" rounds.

As for which country Rumania will build it's cruiser in, I have my guess. Belgium's economy is still reving back up, but if that Type 3 dock is used, that still leaves a type 0 and type 1 looking for work...and due to PETA, even the Germans can apply (ick, cooties).

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Jul 9th 2008, 5:32pm)

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 6:05pm

Quoted

Hmm, Belgium, is free and I don't have to cross the ocean. Wonder which Im going to pick. Here's a 10 gun design without DP capability.
*Starts looking for Romanian officials to bribe or blackmail..*

Kaiser Kirk

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 6:26pm

heh sorry Fox, but in 1936 the Belgians are more concerned about getting folks in work. They will start charging for new projects in 1937.

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 6:30pm

If Belgium is agreeable, then Romania would like to lay down the 10 gun design ASAP. One would be built there, the other in Poland, where Romania can also get free drydock use.

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 7:51pm

Breaking News!

The Romanian Chief of Naval Procurement has been spotted walking along with a certain Japanese Ambassador...

:D

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 7:57pm

Did someone just mention "a certain Japanese Ambassador"?

*Runs away*
:D

Kaiser Kirk

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 2:31am

Quoted

Originally posted by TheCanadian
If Belgium is agreeable, then Romania would like to lay down the 10 gun design ASAP. One would be built there, the other in Poland, where Romania can also get free drydock use.

The dock is currently vacant, so any quarter you wish to start is fine. I have not done the Belgian Q2 report yet, so if you want to transfer material to get it started then, that is doable.

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 10:20am

The 3" shell has a burst radius of around 8m so you pretty much need a hit to bring down an aircraft. Statisically the 5"/38 isn't as good, requiring 960 rounds per plane against 752 for the 3". (Numbers here) The only real thing that can account for it is that the higher mv of the 3" round which makes the fire control solution easier - or the sample isn't statisically significant. The rates of fire for the 5"/38 seem to have been overstated, with around 12rpm being the normal rate from data in the after action reports.

howard

Unregistered

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 12:12pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
The 3" shell has a burst radius of around 8m so you pretty much need a hit to bring down an aircraft. Statisically the 5"/38 isn't as good, requiring 960 rounds per plane against 752 for the 3". (Numbers here) The only real thing that can account for it is that the higher mv of the 3" round which makes the fire control solution easier - or the sample isn't statisically significant. The rates of fire for the 5"/38 seem to have been overstated, with around 12rpm being the normal rate from data in the after action reports.

I pulled the data section and underlined the key points.

Quoted

Editor's Notes

by Tony DiGiulian

The following tables adapted from information given in "Naval Weapons of World War Two" by John Campbell show the USN's anti-aircraft successes between October 1944 and January 1945:

Kamikaze Actions
Weapon
Planes Shot Down

Number of rounds per plane

5"/38 using AA Common

5"/38 using VT

3"/50 using AA Common

40 mm Bofors

1.1" MG

20 mm Oerlikon

0.5" MG

Generally speaking, Kamikaze actions were at very close range with the aircraft closing fast upon their intended target. These sort of engagements were very difficult for weapons firing time-fuzed ammunition, as the rate of change in the ballistic range to the aircraft also meant that the fuze settings needed to have large changes from one round to the next. Any lag or delay in getting a particular round into the air after its fuze had been set meant that its detonation would be too far away to reach the target aircraft. The VT fuze eliminated that problem, as noted by its far smaller rounds per aircraft rate.

Non-Kamikaze Actions
Weapon
Planes Shot Down

Number of rounds per plane

5"/38 using AA Common

5"/38 using VT

3"/50 using AA Common

40 mm Bofors

1.1" MG

(4,764 total)
20 mm Oerlikon

0.5" MG

In this table the advantage of the VT fuze, while still significant, is not nearly so pronounced as in the previous table. This may be due to the fact that the rate of change of the attacking aircraft's ballistic range did not change as rapidly as did a Kamikaze aircraft, thus allowing the fire control computers more time to process the incoming data and produce better time fuze settings. It is interesting to study the success rate of the 3"/50 gun, as this weapon was adapted post-war with automatic loading and VT fuzes to replace the 40 mm Bofors on most US warships. Even without VT fuzes, the shoot-down rate of the smaller weapon compares favorably to that of the 5"/38 firing VT-fuzed ordnance. Although, the high numbers for the 5"/38 may be a result of the fast firing rates of these weapons and the fact that nearly every warship destroyer-size and larger carried several of these weapons. So, even a pair of destroyers could fire over 200 rounds per minute.

For more information on the VT fuze, see the Ralph Baldwin book, "The Deadly Fuze - Secret Weapon of World War II." An analysis in this book of the 278 aircraft shot down by VT fuzed projectiles between October 1944 and August 1945 indicates that only 46 of these would have been destroyed if time fuzed projectiles had been employed. However, Will Jurens, noted ordnance authority, estimates that Baldwin's 6:1 ratio apparently assumes that 70% of the VT fuzes worked. A 50% failure rate - the Navy's lower limit of acceptability - meant the effectiveness ratio was closer to 4:1. In comparison, mechanical time fuzes such as the Mk 18 typically worked about 90%-95% of the time.

Addendum
Updated 04 November 2005

Editor's Note: Some time after the above essay was written, I exchanged a few messages with a gentleman who is the Chief Scientist of the Center for Naval Analyses. In the interests of clarity and completeness, I have combined and paraphrased his comments to make the following addendum.

These data in Campbell's "Naval Weapons of World War Two" appear to be taken (and stripped of context) from some earlier work by the Operations Research Group (ORG) relating to the Philippines campaign. Speaking as the Chief Scientist of the Center for Naval Analyses, the direct descendant of ORG, I will tell you that I believe that the figures below represent a sounder methodology applied to a better data set. That said, however, I would not bet the farm on any of these numbers.

There are a lot of pitfalls in this sort of analysis, and it is extremely difficult to arrive at meaningful numbers. With this caveat firmly in mind, I will quote some of the better figures for World War II:

Type of Attack
Planes Shot Down

Rounds per Plane

20 mm

40 mm

5"/38 MT*

5"/38 VT

Kamikaze

Non-Kamikaze

* MT = Mechanical Timer (i.e., Time Fuzed AA Common)

These figures are from the Special Defense Operations Research Group (SpecORG) study, "AA Defense of the Fast Carrier Task Force - 24 October 1944 To 21 March 1945", Anti-Aircraft Study No. 8, revised 11 September 1945. They address only carrier task groups, for which the best data were available.

Another SpecORG study, AA Study 13 of 12 October 1945, "Anti-Aircraft Actions in the Okinawa Campaign, 18 March - 15 August 1945", estimated that on average the Japanese lost 3 to 10 times as many aircraft per ship damaged or destroyed in non-suicide attacks as were required in suicide attacks.

William D. O'Neil
Chief Scientist of the Center for Naval Analyses

In summary the only hard facts that I read from that article that we can reasonably ascertain with statistical certainty by the expert testimony given, is that there was NO radio proximity-fused shells in USN service at the time of the Santa Cruz Islands, when the South Dakota put on her anti-aircraft gunnery display.

The best we can actually say is that the 3/50 and the 5/38 were roughly equivalent from the data size samples. The presence of so many 5/38 twin mounts as opposed to the single 3/50s could account for the discrepancy in shells thrown per plane destroyed, as was remarked in the article.

Nevertheoless, I concede that the 3 inch, for the anti-aircraft role, provided you can overcome the Mark 17s propensity to hangfire in the breech [as commented in the Navweaps article on the gun] would be a good substitute mount for the 5/38 single as it appears the guns were almost equivalent in effectiveness.

H.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "howard" (Jul 10th 2008, 2:42pm)