You are not logged in.

Wednesday, June 4th 2003, 11:14pm

Infrastructure rules problem

Greetings all

I have some ships to break up on the slip - how do we go about it? 3 times the speed of construction?

cheers

Bernhard

Wednesday, June 4th 2003, 11:51pm

Breaking up is (not) hard to do

Unless somebody has documentation to prove otherwise, I'm happy with 3x.

J

Thursday, June 5th 2003, 5:59pm

I see no problem with that either.
Don't forget to recycle the scrap metal.

Walter

Saturday, June 14th 2003, 11:51am

Are we agreed then? Hooman, you want to put this in the rules?

thanks

Bernhard

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, June 14th 2003, 12:48pm

One more question:

Will breaking up a ship also eat up some ressources? Free some ressources (recycling armor plates for example - even thought it doesn´t make sense to use WW1-armor on WW2-era units, though)?

Or should I only invlude the sentance:

"Breaking up a ship takes 1/3 of the time necessary to build a vessel of its tonnage and size."

Saturday, June 14th 2003, 11:14pm

sounds good Hoo

I think its possible to use WW1 armor on a ship in WW2., its more likely to be fitted to a WW1 warship in rebuild were they add armor perhaps? To keep things simple lets just keep the 1/3 rule in place.

Sunday, June 15th 2003, 9:24pm

KISS

Keep It Simple, Stupid

let's just go with that sentence

cheers

Bernhard

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, June 16th 2003, 12:07pm

Done

I´ve included the sentance as a new chapter 2.3.

Will it be necessary to devote a slip or dock for breaking up a ship?

Monday, June 16th 2003, 12:45pm

I think that would be handy if you were to break up the hull. We could considder the breaking up of a ships a 'reverse' construction and then three times as fast. So once you got 40% left to break up, the ship would be put into a drydock, when necesary (as opposed to 40% needed to launch a ship when constructing it).

Walter

Monday, June 16th 2003, 2:16pm

Needing a dock ?

Was HMS Warspite's hull scrapped after she ran herself onto the rocks? What remains of her?

Visit my Russian/French fantasy fleet page:
http://admkuznetsov.tripod.com

Monday, June 16th 2003, 5:45pm

As is written in the Warships1.com database:

Quoted

left Portsmouth Mar.12/47 but broke tow Apr.23/47 on way to breakers
ran aground in Prussia Cove off Cornish coast
scrapped where she lay 1947-1956

As to what remains of her... Well I guess nothing (assuming they scrapped her completely).

Since she was broken up on the spot where she ran aground, it could have taken longer to scrap her due to difficulties accessing her. But I'm not sure. Does the "1947-1956" mean she was scrapped somewhere between 1947 and 1956 or does it mean they start scrapping her in 1947 and finished with the job in 1956 ?

It might be that scrapping a ship in a dock might go faster than when it is stuck on the rocks, but I'm not sure about that. But I think you might have better acces to a ship's hull in docks than on the rocks.

Walter

Monday, June 16th 2003, 5:54pm

As a guess, access on a slip would be easier, and there'd be more incentive to finish the job - the slip's not being put to good use while a hulk sits in it.

Ownership may also influence it; the military will generally do what needs to be done; commercial scrappers may not work as quickly if scrap prices are depressed, for instance.

I would think that if a hull is not seaworthy, it's scrapped on the slip that it was built on. If it is seaworthy, it can be towed to a commercial yard and the navy/player can wash their hands of it.

J

Monday, June 16th 2003, 6:10pm

Well, my questio originated with the ships i have to break up on the slip. I assumed that a ship that was to be broke up and already floating would be done by commercial breakers.

As to HMS Warspite: look at where she foundered - that place was a bitch to get at. Normally destructio is a lot faster than construction - therefore the 3x factor.

cheers

Bernhard

Monday, June 16th 2003, 6:50pm

well

I've seen some really interesting pictures of ships being broken up and it looks like all you need is a quiet little lagoon where the tide rises and falls so you can place the ship there at high tide and when the tide lowers you have a grounded ship to cut up. In some cases as the ship is being broken up its pulled further ashore. Ship breakers would be totaly separate from ship builders but could be run by the same company.

Monday, June 16th 2003, 7:02pm

I am unfamiliar with the place where Warsprite foundered (read: not bothered to check it out on the internet :p) but that would mean the "they start scrapping her in 1947 and finished with the job in 1956" would apply.
As to scrapping your ships, the infamous Japanese gang "Jigoku no Tenshi" would love to help you out. Maybe using such gangs would add a +1 modifier to the scrapping speed. (4x instead of 3x) :-)

The lagoon could be something like a natural "dock" when it comes to scrapping, it seems. Would be handy to use a lagoon since that would keep the slips and docks free for the more important projects.

Walter