You are not logged in.

Friday, June 9th 2006, 11:42am

These rules acctually make it incredibly easy to build these types of ships, as I've stated, historically the build time for the typical wooden MTB seems to be 9 months.

I'm not going to seriously contest this change (I can build even more vessels, who would complain about that?!) but we may want to consider the reprocussions of the new rule.....

Friday, June 9th 2006, 11:45am

I vote for Red Admiral's propsed three tier system. I agree that we should keep things simple. This way no one loses out. Perhaps one small change, 1 craft smaller than 200t per 2 whole factories to make things a bit fairer for larger MTBs.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, June 9th 2006, 11:57am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
I'm not going to seriously contest this change (I can build even more vessels, who would complain about that?!) but we may want to consider the reprocussions of the new rule.....

Wes, it´s not a new rule at all. Our rules allow light crafts to be build in large numbers anyway as we set the production time to 1 month right at the beginning when we started this SIM.

You´re also right that 1 month is far from realistic and we might discuss an average 6 month or something. But going for a completely new calcualtion rule including a split of materials etc. is one step too much for me (at least).

Friday, June 9th 2006, 12:26pm

The thing is spreading 45 tons over 2 quarters seems odd, what I was going for was a modification to the ratio to limit esentially yearly production and simulate somewhat the longer build time.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't have a problem with the existing rule, but if others do we seem obligated to at least explore any posible changes and not dismiss them because they may be too complex.

Friday, June 9th 2006, 5:41pm

Considering that Chile never had very many of these kind of vessels I don't see a point to this in terms of actual usefulness verses powergaming.

Friday, June 9th 2006, 8:11pm

MTB's are fairly expensive and complex ships to build which is the main reason why Chile didn't have many historically.

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 9:31am

As I see things we need to balance numbers with longer building times for realism. We all need small gunboats, river craft, MTBs, MGBs, landing craft and anything else small and wooden but if it takes us three quarters to build these vessels then we will never have enough. During WW2 most combatants built hundreds of these vessels, in WW we could build about 8 a year! At least RA's proposed change gives us more small boats (and here I don't just mean MTB). Myself I can build 24 a year on the current rule, more than enough but if I don't need as many I won't build them. It's up to players to keep things realistic.

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 11:50am

This is true, its basically why I'm not really contesting the idea. I also just recently learned that the first Higgins boats were built with wood and skined with quarter inch steel plating IIRC.