You are not logged in.

Tuesday, May 30th 2006, 9:36pm

Influenza

So are we going to have ourselves a serious avian influenza problem amongst the human population, or is the media blowing a few unfortunate deaths entirely out of proportion?

Personally, I'm not sure what to be thinking. As a hobby farmer, I'm more concerned with over-the-top government actions like mass culls or imposition of onerous handling/housing requirements than the actual (and, I think, minimal) risk of getting sick. And if I do get sick, I think there's a far better chance I'll get it from some random dumbass on a bus than from any birds I encounter.

What's the outlook in your parts of the world?

Tuesday, May 30th 2006, 10:10pm

The chance of a global pandemic of "Bird Flu" is 1.00, it will happen sooner or later. We just don't know when.

Am I worried? No not really as there is more chance of me being stabbed to death by knife-wielding ex-prisoners who were released from prison instead of being deported, after the immigrants came into the country and drank all the water in the reservoirs in South East England.

> The above won't make much sense unless you keep notes on British news. Canada could have been invaded by Nazis from their secret base in Antarctica before it was reported here.

Wednesday, May 31st 2006, 1:20am

Bird flu.
Well dose any of You find a dead bird in the road and it it?
I dont.
Do any of You eat raw bird meat?
I dont.
Do any of You eat un boild eggs?
I dont(well I do sometimes)

If you dont do the foremention things then You dont have too worry about bird flu.
Bird flu is common in europe it always had been and always will be.There is absolutly nothing to worry about.

There is one thing thats make me proud to live in poland.
We dont give a rats ass about animal deseses.
When the EU Veterinarian comision went to poland to tell us about proper animal health care,Polish bourd of veterinary told them we got all that sorted out in the 70's.
Well one of meny things that the soviet block was years ahead from the west.

As for the prospect of geting stabed.Well one a year someone tries to stab me.The end resolt is that one dumbass got his own knife in his leg.I was in the proces of kicking him while he was down when the police showed up.Stupid mugger.
And when i travel too other countries I am the dengerous minority and other go on the other side of the street,dont know why I dont look scary. Im small and thin and somehow they all think im the scary minority.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Wednesday, May 31st 2006, 2:09am

It was getting a fair amount of press last year, very little this year. I don't think anyone here is terriblely concerned at all. There’s has been more concern over …..a disease who’s name eludes me… mosquito born and effects birds and horses fatally, humans less so- we had a large number of dead birds last year and people were getting their horses vaccinated.

Wednesday, May 31st 2006, 2:44am

Sounds like West Nile encephalitis.

Wednesday, May 31st 2006, 6:01am

That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

The 1918 Spanish Flu (IIRC it started in the US 1917 and found its way to Europe with the troops) that killed 20 million is still around today as one of the more mild forms of flu.

Cheers,

Wednesday, May 31st 2006, 8:15am

My take is this...They have only now just confermed that nasty rumor that Aids came from chimps. Bird Flu? Could be a problem, but I think its more hype than a pandemic.
People die from much less serious medical issues.

Mold spores can kill you.....

SAR's, mad cow, west nile and now bird flu, to me its dangerous to keep crying wolf because eventually there will be a big pandemic and we will brush off the initial warnings as hype....

There will always be deadly disease's around, as we adapt so will they.

Kaiser Kirk

Wednesday, May 31st 2006, 9:41am

Quoted

Originally posted by CanisD
Sounds like West Nile encephalitis.

Yep that's it.
Far more the concern in my area that "bird flu".

Thursday, June 1st 2006, 4:13pm

Here we have othher fish to fry. Nasty stuff like Hantavirus and the Plague.

Bird flu will always be around, there just isnt much you can do about it. So why worry in the first place?

Kaiser Kirk

Thursday, June 1st 2006, 4:25pm

So, is the moral of the story

"Don't count your chickens until after the flu" ?