You are not logged in.

Sunday, July 25th 2004, 12:13am

Jyllands-Posten January 12th 1924

This story was originally meant to follow the Football Tournament planned for Q4 in Iberia

Breaking News…….

Crisis in the Med!!!!!

The K.D.M. Copenhagen has been involved in an incident in the Mediterranean.
Exact details are not yet available but it appears that there was some form of explosion, which by first reports has caused considerable damage.

Further details as they become available…..

Sunday, July 25th 2004, 12:59am

Jyllands-Posten January 12th 1924

Crisis in the Med!!!!!

+ 1.5 hours

The K.D.M. Copenhagen has been seriously damaged by what appears to have been a mine while steaming towards Genoa from Barcelona on the penultimate leg of her current cruise.

Reports have the ship listing to port and being slightly down by the stern. There are no accurate figures as to causalities, but reports suggest that they might be considerable due to the estimates of the damage sustained by the Copenhagen.

The cruiser Falster has taken on as many injured members of the Copenhagen’s compliment as possible in an effort to alleviate the strain on the damage parties on Copenhagen, and all non-essential members of the ship’s compliment have been ordered to the lifeboats.

The incident happened approximately 70 miles due South of the Iles de Port Cros,
about 100 miles South South East of Toulon.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, July 25th 2004, 1:27am

A left-over from WW1, I guess....

Bad news....

Sunday, July 25th 2004, 4:44am

Communication from the Marine Nationale

The Navy of the Republic of France express condolences to the government of Denmark for the lives lost in this tragic incident, and offer the services of 6th Minesweeper Flotilla to ensure that any remaining hazards to navigation in that area are removed.

Sunday, July 25th 2004, 9:09am

Quoted

A left-over from WW1, I guess....

That is what they expect us to believe. :-)
Sure it could be a WW1 left-over, but what if it is not? What if someone recently dumped a mine there?

I think I might have mentioned it before, but way back in the beginning with the Cleito talks about naval disarmament, I was thinking about pushing forward a plan to ban mines (and would have included a proper search for any lost mines). Somehow it slipped my mind and I never proposed it...
... looking at it now, perhaps I should have proposed it...

Sunday, July 25th 2004, 9:14am

Atlantis is personally not very found of mines, given its horrible experiences with them in the great war. If the interest is their to supplement the CT with a mine ban we are all for it.

Sunday, July 25th 2004, 9:52am

The Shogun will see if this proposal will survive both the Diet and the Bakufu.

Sunday, July 25th 2004, 1:12pm

The Danish Crown also wishes to thank the French Government for their offer to clear the Med of mines.

(And asks under it's breath, why their predecessors didn't get round to it?)

Sunday, July 25th 2004, 4:14pm

Two Filipino diplomatic releases

For public release:

The government of the Philippines offers its condolences to the Danish people and to the familes of the brave Danish sailors who have been injured or killed in this unfortunate accident.

Private material, government-to-government:

The government of the Philippines understands the sentiments that may lead to a proposal to ban the sea mine as a weapon of warfare, but wishes to remind our fellow governments that such bans are a) often unenforcable, and b) have a tendency to backfire; therefore we cannot support any such actions.

Sunday, July 25th 2004, 8:14pm

We understand your exasperation, but...

Quoted

(And asks under it's breath, why their predecessors didn't get round to it?)

Most of the mine operations of The Great War in the Mediterranian were in the Eastern Med and the Adriatic... We are at a loss to explain mines at this particular location...

Monday, July 26th 2004, 4:57pm

It was most likely a free floater, possibly one that got away from it's proper home protecting a port in the area. I can't imagine someone mining water well over 6000 feet deep!

(depth according to an old Times Atlas I have)