You are not logged in.

Friday, November 7th 2014, 3:14am

Wes repurchased the E-class destroyers for Colombia, but since there hasn't been any Colombian sim reports, the ships apparently haven't been delivered.

Quoted

All Chilean ships are equipped with dual-purpose guns - some of them automatic weapons, and most in enclosed gunhouses with ammo hoists.

... I guess it depends on your definition of "all", "some" and "most"...

Capitan Thompson (6), Capitan Eyzaguirre (8) Aldea (8) => DP no hoists => 27%
Capitan Frey (8), Cerro Fitz Roy (6) => BL + hoist => 17%
Almirante Williams (2) => ARF => 2%
Alphabet Destroyer C (8), Alphabet Destroyer D (8) => DP + hoist, no weapon armor => 20%

DP armed ships => 83%
ARF armed ships => 2%
Ships with enclosed gunhouses and ammo hoists => 54%

Much of that is correct, but there are a few corrections I should point out.
- The Frey-class corvettes were refitted in 1943 to have dual-purpose guns.
- The Cerro Fitz Roys are going to be refitted with 130mm DP automatics over the course of 1945 and 1946; since I just bought them last quarter, I haven't had the opportunity to refit them yet.
- The Battle-class heavy destroyers also have automatic 130mm DP guns.
- As detailed above, the Alphabets are all retired and only six still remain; the rest have been or are being scrapped.

More on topic, I'm kind of inclined to think Chile might benefit from a few more light cruisers. It's currently just a 1:1 ratio with heavy units, leaving few to any free for any kind of independent work.

That's a quite perceptive thought, actually.

Light cruisers are one of the most difficult things for me to work out. I tend to have a very strong preference either to upsize into heavy cruisers (7.5" / 8" gun, a real man's gun, that!) or build more 130mm-armed heavy destroyers. The 6" / 15cm-armed light cruiser tends to fall in between the two stools for me, which is why, in all my various countries, I have built only three 6"-armed ships: the two Danubes for Bulgaria, and the Magellanes for Chile. Part of my issue comes because I've been such a vehement opponent of the trend toward 6"-automatics, and I've felt a certain futility about building 6" armed ships when I can build more useful 13cm and 20cm armed ships instead.

However, I will say that Chile is laying down four new cruisers (Cruiser Ligero Antiaérea) of the Araucanía-class in 1946. I shan't release the specs yet, but I will reveal that they are designed for 15cm guns.

Friday, November 7th 2014, 3:49am

Quoted

I forgot to indicate in that post that I used the info from the encyclopedia and I would assume that the info there still needs to be updated with what you mentioned above...

... and also: "Dang! I missed the Chilean Destroyer Leaders thread!" :pinch:

Quoted

I tend to have a very strong preference either to upsize into heavy cruisers (7.5" / 8" gun, a real man's gun, that!) or build more 130mm-armed heavy destroyers. The 6" / 15cm-armed light cruiser tends to fall in between the two stools for me

... and what about some 130mm-armed light cruisers instead of 6" / 15cm-armed ones?

Friday, November 7th 2014, 2:12pm

Quoted

I forgot to indicate in that post that I used the info from the encyclopedia and I would assume that the info there still needs to be updated with what you mentioned above...

The encyclopedia should be fully updated. I'm waiting to remove the Alphabet-class entry until all the ships are scrapped, but everything else should be dealt with.

Quoted

I tend to have a very strong preference either to upsize into heavy cruisers (7.5" / 8" gun, a real man's gun, that!) or build more 130mm-armed heavy destroyers. The 6" / 15cm-armed light cruiser tends to fall in between the two stools for me

... and what about some 130mm-armed light cruisers instead of 6" / 15cm-armed ones?

I purchased and refitted four for Chile in the late 1930s, actually; and a lot of my smaller French 6" cruisers such as Emile Bertin and the Roland have received 130mm or 138mm DP batteries to replace their older 6" guns.

Friday, November 7th 2014, 2:22pm

That's a quite perceptive thought, actually.

Light cruisers are one of the most difficult things for me to work out. I tend to have a very strong preference either to upsize into heavy cruisers (7.5" / 8" gun, a real man's gun, that!) or build more 130mm-armed heavy destroyers. The 6" / 15cm-armed light cruiser tends to fall in between the two stools for me, which is why, in all my various countries, I have built only three 6"-armed ships: the two Danubes for Bulgaria, and the Magellanes for Chile. Part of my issue comes because I've been such a vehement opponent of the trend toward 6"-automatics, and I've felt a certain futility about building 6" armed ships when I can build more useful 13cm and 20cm armed ships instead.

However, I will say that Chile is laying down four new cruisers (Cruiser Ligero Antiaérea) of the Araucanía-class in 1946. I shan't release the specs yet, but I will reveal that they are designed for 15cm guns.

Seems to have been the traditional Iberian approach as well, and I've try to emulate that. Of course, my own preference is light cruisers and capital ships, as can be seen with Bharat.

Friday, November 7th 2014, 3:46pm

Quoted

The encyclopedia should be fully updated. I'm waiting to remove the Alphabet-class entry until all the ships are scrapped, but everything else should be dealt with.

Odd cause there is nothing in the post of the Capitan Frey-class that says it was refitted in 1943 and got DP guns. They are armed with BL guns. Maybe you missed that one?

Quoted

I purchased and refitted four for Chile in the late 1930s, actually; and a lot of my smaller French 6" cruisers such as Emile Bertin and the Roland have received 130mm or 138mm DP batteries to replace their older 6" guns.

True. But what about those four planned of the Araucanía-class? Why not design that one for the auto 13cm guns?

The last time Japan laid down 15cm-armed ships was in 1940 (battleships Shinano and Echizen). Last time Japan laid down 15cm-armed cruisers was in 1934 (Naka and Jintsu). All cruisers following the Naka class have been armed with 5" guns. The next class will probably have them as well.

BTW, looking at the Chilean ency, I notice that your images are lost (and so is the map).

Friday, November 7th 2014, 6:41pm

Yeah, I know my images are lost. Something went loopy with my webhosting service and I've not yet been able to figure out what it was and how to fix it. Really ought to give that another try one of these days...

Quoted

Odd cause there is nothing in the post of the Capitan Frey-class that says it was refitted in 1943 and got DP guns. They are armed with BL guns. Maybe you missed that one?

No, I didn't miss it - the Freys are now classified as "Corvettes". I could pull the entire post from the destroyers thread if it matters...