You are not logged in.

Saturday, July 12th 2003, 12:26am

Atlantis daily Globe: Feb 17 1921

Today the Sale of the former ANS Evamon and Azaes to Greece was Finalized. The newly christened Atlantis and Albania have been transfered to Greece in exchange for $380,000, which will in turn be used to purchase new merchant ships from greek shipyards. Along with the two former battlecruisers greece also recieves a number of spare guns, a limited supply of ammunition and the ships themselves have been recently refited as early as 1919 so their material state is very good. The two ships were slated to be scrapped as a result of the treaty of Cleito but were offered to any navy for sale rather than scrap them, and the Greek navy was one of the primary partys interested.
A Greek inspection team completed their examination of the two ships and were quite pleased with their condition. "These two fine warships have been well looked after" said Rear Admiral Stavros Panagopulos. "We are looking forward to them serving in the fleet and they should serve us well for some years to come."
The two ships will remain in Atlantian waters while they train and conduct join excersizes with the Atlantian 1st Battlecruiser squadron consisting of the ANS Vengeance and Glory, two of the Atlantian navy's newest warships. Sometime in August the ships will sail for Greece where they will formally be commisioned into the Greek navy. "I'm rather happy that these two fine battlecruisers are living on in another navy's care rather than headed to the breakers" said Rear Admiral Atar Matam. "I had the pleasure of servering on both ships, the evamon for 7 months durring the great war and on Azaes durring a cadet training cruise. They will definatly be in good hands with the Greek navy".

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, July 12th 2003, 1:36am

Low price

That´s an aweful low price for two BCs... Is there anything else we should know about that deal?

Saturday, July 12th 2003, 2:10am

yes acctually

Atlantis and Greece are currently co-developing bauxite deposits in eastern Atlantis as well as partaking in developement of an aluminum factory in central greece. These developments in addition to peacefull talks on territorial claims on Crete are solidifying relations between Greece and Atlantis. Improving relations with greece have led to Atlantis backing down on its territorial claims on Crete. As for price does it really seem that low?

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, July 12th 2003, 10:50am

Price

When comparing that price for _two_ units with what India had to pay for one I really think it is very, very low. 380000 british pound would have made a difference but US-$.....

Saturday, July 12th 2003, 11:28pm

Don't forget:

Quoted

Improving relations with greece have led to Atlantis backing down on its territorial claims on Crete.

You could consider the price of the two BCs as $380,000 and an island (more or less).

Walter

Sunday, July 13th 2003, 1:10am

you are correct

Also the co-operation in comertial ventures is another step in improving relations. That dosn't mean Atlantis won't try and push for base usage rights but time will tell.

Sunday, July 13th 2003, 8:31am

No I'm not.

Guess I was asleep when I typed that.

it would be 2BCs and and island for $380,000.

Still, the co-operation in comertial ventures could be considered more valuable than money. It could be more important to Atlantis than to Greece, though. Not that I am saying that Greece thinks it is not important: the co-operation would be important to Greece, but it would be more important to Atlantis.

Walter

Sunday, July 13th 2003, 9:06am

lol I was sleeping too

This time you ARE right!

Sunday, July 13th 2003, 9:20am

So what is your excuse ? For me it was time to go to bed. Perhaps it was for you, too.
:-)

Walter

Sunday, July 13th 2003, 5:50pm

lol

Don't laugh curently I work from 4 am (yes 4am!) till 12 noon and I've just been switched back to my old hours for 2 weeks to cover for a guy on holidays so things are really weird right now!

Sunday, July 13th 2003, 5:59pm

Well, I get to work a little bit later. I start at 5:30 AM and work (usually) until 4:15PM. During the busy period (Valentine and Mothersday) We could even be working as late as 9 or 10 PM. Good thing is that it is only about 7 minutes by bike to work.

Walter

harry the red

Unregistered

Sunday, July 13th 2003, 7:58pm

The Greek view

The official Greek view on the subject is that the commercial aspect is just as important for Greece as it is for Atlantis. The Greek government is determined to modernise its industries and infrastructure as rapidly as possible and sees this cooperation as an opportunity to insure that this objective is attained as soon as possible.

The unofficial view is that any nation contemplating the possibility of attacking Greece will have to seriously contemplate the political consequences that will arise if their actions damaged Atlantis’s economic interest in any way.

Basically the monetary cost of the ships is irrelevant, the political and economic benefits will be the real payment. Which of the two nations got the bargain only time will tell.

Harry